Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clueless Buyers with cash, Firm means Firm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

The illusion of a good deal is just as satisfying as getting a good deal.

NOBODY wants to tell their wife and friends that they paid full price.

Nobody.

If you wanted 35K you should ask for 42K.

In some cultures, haggling is prerequisite to a purchase. Chinese and Indians come to mind....come to think of it...EVERYONE comes to mind.

2. I can't believe this crap is still being argued about. The only thing we can really ascertain for sure from these 11 pages are; depending what side of the deal you are on, the other guy is an A-Hole for not doing what you wanted, and everyone will jump on the bandwagon regardless of what they really feel by how the original nonsense was stated. The same guys who say low ball a seller are saying something different here. Like a bunch of sheep.
    Close this already. It's really getting boring

3. If he brought his wife, you have to dicker.

Seriously, I think the seller is entitled to his asking price. I also think the potential buyer was trying to purchase outside of his means.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

do you not see the special circumstances here? the guy showed up at 2am with $2k less than the "firm" price, which was discussed ahead of time, therefore wasting the dude's time. if he was going to offer less than the firm price, he should have laid the groundwork for it ahead of time on the phone. "the absolute most i can spend is $33k, IF i really like the car. that's all i have" and the seller would have said no thanks and saved everyone a lot of time. instead, he pompously made arrangements to show up at an ungodly hour, and waste his time. therefore he is a douche.

also, you're doing your fair share to keep the thread alive, sheep. if you don't like it, don't read it.

5. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Sure, it's no big deal if the $2K is coming out of your pocket, but it's a very big deal if it's coming out of mine.....

6. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Perhaps it is just to me: firm=stubborn=overpriced

If the asking price is reasonable most times it will sell quickly if the market is not soft.

I do not get the "logic" of if it does not sell for $X, add $7k more work and sell for $X+4k

7. Bottom line is firm, means firm! OBO means or best offer! Your car, your investment, you have the right to set the terms! Nothing wrong with a guy sticking to guns! The mistake was made by the looker.

8. Firm does NOT always mean firm ... In this situation it did BUT that is not always the case. As I see it, the only "mistake" was agreeing to a 2:30 am viewing.

Would you be just as pissed at the potential buyer if he showed up, inspected the car for an hour, then said "car doesn't meet my criteria, not interested" and left? (I must assume "yes" because he still "wasted" the same amount of your time).

Apparently the "clueless/douche" (????) potential buyer has been looking for several years ... so I think we can safely assume that he saw this particular car advertised at $39,000 (quite possibly listed at a "firm" $39,000 and too much for the pockets of the potential buyer) ... then he sees it advertised for $35,000 "firm". At this point the potential buyer knows the seller has already dropped his price $4,000 and figures it is worth the gamble to show up with $33,000 CASH ... (not a cheque, not a deposit, not a "first I gotta sell my boat" ... $33,000 in COLD HARD CASH) ... the potential buyer HOPED the seller would accept his offer, the seller didn't. SO WHAT.

I am not saying $2,000 is not a lot of money, I am not saying the seller should have accepted the $33,000. What I am saying is "the buyer has the right to make an offer and the seller has a right to decline any and all offers". No one did anything wrong here ... (other than agreeing to the 2:30 am viewing).

9. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

11 pages? Really?

10. quit reading this thread if you're sick of it.

11. 5window

5window

Exactly

12. dixiestillalive

dixiestillalive
    from Georgia

"the only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars in tune good and FIRM feeling women . . . " Waylon

I know what FIRM means. no argument here. FIRM means FIRM.

13. 5window

5window

I don't think Waylon meant "unyielding" and I don't think Hank done it this a way.

14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Sweet Jesus....this thread is still fuckin going?.....

damb....

15. jasonnosaj

jasonnosaj
    from ohio

I recently had 3 young guys drive in from out of state to look at a $1500 '50 chevy. All 3 guys were going in together to biuld a car for the wyotech class they were in. Between the 3 of them, they couldent even come up with a $100 downpayment. I called off work to try & sell the car, big mistake, won't happen again.

16. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

how again did you get screwed?

17. 62rebel

62rebel

second weekend in a row where i drove 12 hours total, cash in my pocket and still came home with it. seller probably would have come down but i wasn't willing to work that hard for something that wasn't ready to go.

there's a group that says money talks, there's another that says bullshit walks. it's just not relevant anymore. i've had my Falcons up for sale here and on other forums and have been bullshitted endlessly about this and that and what will i take... i've GIVEN parts away several times just to be helping out, and i guess that marked me as a pussy for some folks. no more. it sells, it sells for what i'm asking, or i scrap it. fuck this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.