Register now to get rid of these ads!

clothing belt for lap belt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparJoel, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Right now I drive a 57 dodge d100 with no lap belts, which i thought was cool until I was recently t-boned in my truck in the last few months ive put back together and i am back on the road, but im really considering seat belts for it.
    I have found companys that make plain shiney buckles, but i like neat detail in what i do. I got to thinking awile back that Ive had a belt (that goes around my pants to keep my butt from showing) that is made by a legitemate car seatbelt company "TRW" that features different auto brands such as dodge, chevy, ford and cadi. since i have a dodge i want to go with the newer ram logo thats on my belt.
    I did some research and i believe its a GMC style buckle I was woundering if anyones has took one of these apart and how maybe i can buy the GMC belt for the car and swap the button? maybe someones done this? probabily not but i figured I would get some ideas. thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. striper

striper

Just got me thinking. I might get a leather jacket stitched into the interior of my roadster. Jump in, slide my arms into the sleeves and zip it up. I'll look cool in my jacket, hardcore without a seat belt, yet surprisingly secure and safe. There's an idea.

I'm off to the patents office ;)

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, that won't fly in a car as the webbing has a good chance of not being up to the task. What holds some high school kids pants up might not hold you in the car.
    I didn't think they were legit for belts unless you actually took them out of a car and smelled like weed yourself.
    Even Autozone and O'Reilly's carry legit aftermarket seat belts for a reasonable price. We used to buy them from the parts house in the early 60's to put in our cars so we were legal for the drags.

4. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I was thinking just the buckle part I think it is a GMC Buckle, ( I know im a pain in the ass) but i like to have something different not an off the shelf buckle. and I guess safety isnt a big deal round here in az anyway, I run a speed world dragstrip all the time and they havent said anything about no having any :D , but not to bright on my account though :p.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sounds to me like you just need to get the regular seat belts and find the sticker you want to put on the button. done

6. Mark T

Mark T

Maybe you can buy a set of rear seat lap belts out of a GMC van or suv.

7. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I like these belts cause they are casted in and with all the button pushing stickers would wear out in no time.

8. jimbob

jimbob

Bwahahahaaaa

9. If you look around a bit I'll just about bet that there is a company that caters to good guys types that already makes a push button seat belt with a dodge logo. I know it is cool to say that you modified something on your won but sometimes it is just plain silly to do so, you could be making something that really matters for your dodge.

I think one of those OSHA approved saftey harnesses with the shock cord to just snatch you out of the jaws or hell would be cool also. :rolleyes:

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Brilliant.... :D

11. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

lap belts, you wont die, but your teeth will sure feel great going down your throat while you eat the steering wheel with your face haha! ;)

12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Ive run out of places to look. thats why im posting this maybe someone knows some cool trick or company i dont.

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

My daughter has one with the ford logo and after I looked, I see what you mean about it being cast in,however those look to be hermetically sealed in and I think it would be a booger to get the button out.

As for the belt part that I thought you asked about to start with, It says on hers that that "this belt is not to be used as a safety device", obviously for liability reasons,It might work but I wouldnt be willing to bet my life on it.

14. upspirate

upspirate

Can you just get a set of the same belts,cut the stitching that holds the buckle on,and feed the webbing through the buckles you want?

Use a good nylon thread, and sew the same pattern and amount that was originally used

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

speedway sells nice looking seat belts, brand new and safe and everything....

Go to your local junkyard and take a poke around...

16. George

George

It's like wheelchairs have seat belts to secure the person under normal curcumstances, but are not crash worthy.

17. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

If i owned a company that made seat belts, then decided i wanted to make belts for pants too. I would use cheaper metal or the ones that didnt pass inspection. Maybe you should just call the company that makes them and ask if they have or make what you want.

18. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Two things I would add:

1)
    Congratulations, and I thank you for not being one of those idiots that my children have to see with their pants down and their butt showing in public.

2)
    THIS MAN'S A GENIUS! :D:D:D

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hahahaha.

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The thread title leaves a lot to be desired...

Because of that, I think people might be assuming much more than the original poster meant!
    He isn't planning on using the belt at all...just wanting to swap the buttons if possible.:rolleyes:

21. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Really?? To be real safe put a baloon in the middle of the steering wheel for an air bag. Do it right or not at all.

22. Weasel

Weasel

23. 5window

5window

Damn, don't be stupid. Don't resew the belt, don't buy used belts from a junk yard-you don't know what they've been exposed to or weakened with over the years. It's your life and when you drive, you put it into the hands of strangers-who drive like idiots and text at the same time.

Check out these folks-nice product, good price, DOT approved: http://www.andoauto.com/

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

25. What would Red Green do ?

26. Duct Tape to the rescue!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

5 points in EVERYTHING !!!

28. flynbrian48