Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cloth wiring harness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny-B-Bad, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Does anybody know where i can get a new cloth wiring harness from? Something with like 8 circuits? I thought i saw one on the hot rod company website a few months ago but its not there. Or did i see it somewhere else. Any leads would be helpful. Thanks, John

2. Street Rodder magazine just had an article about Sacramento Vintage Ford's vintage cloth wiring harnesses. The produce them using hundred year old weaving equipment that puts a colored identifier thread in each wire, making the color choices unending. They have produced original harnesses for years, but are now producing a traditional style hot rod harness, and they sell both wire & loom by the foot.

Studebakermatt likes this.
  3. Rhode Island Wire been doing it for many years

4. mason-d

mason-d
    from san diego

Iv used the model t wiring harness from MACS. Its got everything you need , directions, and a fair price.

5. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

6. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

I think that may be where i saw it!

And i saw the aaw kit on socals website but its a bit more than im looking to spend and way to many circuits.

7. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Helped a friend rewire an old Buick with a kit from Rhode Island Wire and you could almost swear we were using NOS if it wasen't for the newer wire design technology you could see.
    The new loom colors, matched so close that under the dash it was, for lack of a better word "impressive".

terjekl likes this.
  8. noxided

noxided

i recomend this issue, it has a lot about wiring.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just remember there is a big difference between cloth covered wire and a cloth covered harness.

There is a special machine that is required to wrap the assembled harness with multicolored threads the way the factories did it way back when. It's an odd looking machine and I have no idea how it works. I've seen it done on some high end hotrods. My 34 P/U has it done only on the engine compartment harness. It's not that pretty under the dash.:D The truck was built in Cali.

There was a guy at Carlisle a few years ago that had the machine and would do your harness but I have not seen him recently. To do it you need to build the complete harnesses with all the wires and connections. Then it needs to be removed, covered with the multicolored threads and then reinstalled. It's worth it if you have the time and the money. IMHO

Replacement harnesses for antiques can be purchased already done but hotrods need to be custom made. I bought a reproduction headlight harness for my sport coupe because I used the original HL switch. It came already wrapped.