Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cloning the "Pioneering Plymouth" ...a Barris Kustom 1953 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Good luck, but don't do it the exact color, build a car inspired by his car, not a 100% clone.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You're high Pro Stock John!!! It's not like he's cloning the Graffiti coupe here. I think the masses need to see what the Ed Sloan Plymouth looked like first hand. Keep on it!

3. dart165

dart165

Can't wait to see this come together! Good luck dude!

4. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i dont know why maybe its the color but i feel that thing having an olds 303 rocket motor.

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I agree with Jeffery. This car needs to be cloned!! You must be sniffing paint!!

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

x2!

7. banditomerc

banditomerc

If you are planning a CLONE of the car,it needs to be exact in 99.9%! If you do a TRIBUTE car,then you have a few liberties you can take,for example,color,interior,etc.I am building a Ayala TRIBUTE car,the undercarrige, drive train is updated,but the exterior/interior will be as exact as i can get it,with a couple of minut mods to the original design by Ayala Bros. Just my dos centavos.

8. Clone for this car 110%

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

man those tires it has are crazy. looks like a 4 inch white wall!

10. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Ok! enough talking about it Get Buzy!! j/k Good luck on the build :D

11. Small update...Started cleaning out car and seeing the parts of the car that will need attention. Rear floors and drivers side front half of rear quarter. other then that pretty solid. Truck is solid.

Also I picked these up for the build. Overlay skirts. Going off the scale measurements I have done these are the skirts used on the first version. Imagen I was able to find the original pair? Dreams!!!

Attached Files:

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

An exact color match is a tribute......not a ripoff.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lets see some sparks flying :D Looking forward to your build!

14. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

to me what is used to open the door is that big button that looks like lincoln units

15. Thats the switch for the power windows.

16. glassguy

glassguy

an old trick i was taught, is to weld the rod from the door lock button to the latch mechanism. just push down on the lock and open the door.. no handle, no pull wire, no electronics to possibly fail, and no one would ever know.. maybe even just a good back up in case the old fashioned solonoids fail..

17. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

oops :eek:

18. No pictures to report......Picking up a complete flathead 6 for the car this week. Trying to gather more parts for the build.

Past week has been crazy, aunt passed away, celebrated my 7th wedding anniversary and 5 yr old nephew with a stomach virus(I am his father figure, due to no father).

Nov. 1st.....full speed ahead.

19. Have you spoken to or George Barris on the car? I always loved that custom, from the little mags. My folks had a '54 Plymouth Hardtop, I had dreams of doing some things to it. I think the only thing I did was add skirts. My mom and I were almost killed by a drunk who t-boned us at an intersection in a '50 Hudson. Totaled the Plymouth, I think the Hudson could have driven away on it's own. So much for the Plymouth!

20. Picked up this 230ci Flathead today with Pete(235kid). Im very excited about this engine because its a Plymouth 230 engine and that it was running before I got it.

PS---remember chains when lifting an engine....3 tiedowns worked, but not a good idea. :p

Attached Files:

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

It was a fun trip today. That engine is going to be awesome!

22. I was able to get some time away from the wife. I have a trip to NJ for a wedding that i leave for on thursday. But I was able to pull the window and it was a first for me. Didn't break it, thanks to Pete(the235kid) for some pointers. The edge around the roofline and beltline are perfect. Not rot and no rust.

Window is going to NJ with me for another HAMB'r.

Attached Files:

• bw.jpg
      bw.jpg
      File size:
      112.3 KB
      Views:
  23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thats friggin awesome. I love how hotrodders will go out of their way for other rodders. Good man!

24. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Glad the window came out without a hitch. Not chop the damn thing!!!!!!!

25. -A-

-A-
    from Finland

Any progress with the project?

26. Very slow....just moved into a new house. Spent the last two weeks moving in. Getting my garage sorted tomorrow and then back to work. I will keep you all updated as I get moving.

27. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

good luck welder try not to get any freezer burn back in Jersey

28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Get to work slacker!!! We all want to see this thing moving along!

29. sololobo

sololobo

I remember when this ar debuted, we all were star struck that the odd ball Plymouth could be done so cool. Best of luck with this sweet project. Thanx for the full view of The Compton drive inn Rikster, uber cool. ~sololobo~

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey xxwelderxx, looks like it'll be a long haul, what with kids, school, piano lessons, etc. I'm a member of that club myself. Great project, looking forward to the build, good luck!!