Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Clocking a Stewart Warner Fuel Gauge Sender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtx1800, Dec 17, 2019.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess this isn't "traditional", that would be a stick, but for those of us that don't want to add slivers and dust from a stick to check our gas tank level we need a gauge and sending unit. I don't know know how standardized fuel tank openings are but it seems that both 38 Chevy tanks as well as 53-61 Studebakers use the same gas tank opening. I don't remember clocking the sender being a problem with the 38 but it darn sure is with a Studebaker tank. The Studebaker vendors sell the "right" sender but it's pricey, at least to this CASO (Cheap Assed Studebaker Owner) so looking at the generic senders they list both a right hand and left hand sender. How do you tell which one to use? I contacted SW over the weekend and Monday morning I had an answer, can't complain about customer service:) This picture will give you an idea how they are clocked and which version you need. Stewart Warner Fuel Gauge.jpg

kadillackid and TrailerTrashToo like this.