Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clearing '54 Bel Air Firewall Ribs with SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Southfork, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Southfork

Southfork

I'm getting ready to prep the '54 Bel Air firewall for the 327 SBC transplant, and I'm thinking that It may not be necessary to cut out those two vertical strengthening ribs. How much interference with the SBC Chevy valve covers is there anyway? Couldn't a guy just heat and bend the lower portion of the ribs to the side and get all the clearance for the valvecovers that is needed? I hate the looks of the firewall when the ribs are removed partway (at the bottom but not at the top), and I wonder about removing the ribs totally --- lots of work doing that, plus possible strength issues.

Anybody done this SBC transplant without cutting out chunks of the ribs?

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

only takes like 10 mins to get them out (theyre just spot welded in.) I think you "have to" remove them though.

3. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I never got around to finishing the swap, but it would be real tight not to take out at least some of the ribs. Not only are the valve covers in the way, but installing exhaust manifold bolts will be real tough, if the manifolds don't hit themselves. MarkX should have a pic or two of the ribs he had to cut out. the ribs on his '52 are the same as on a '54

4. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

This is the only pic I have of the firewall after I cut the ribs off...but you can see that I cut them completly off, except for about 2 inches at the top of each, there is a lot of weld at the top and it would have to be ground down. I took me about 3O min. to get them off with a sawzall, drill and angle grinder...also, I just notched the lower supports for exhaust clearance and left material around the body mount so there are still two bolts in that area, a little work rounding the corners of cuts and smoothing grind marks will clean it up well...if you are just looking at it, it doenst look like anything is missing...if you want better pics, let me know and I will try to get em.

Attached Files:

5. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I just drilled the spot welds and removed them completely. Took just a few minutes, and you can't even tell they were ever there now.

Picture sucks...

Attached Files:

6. The ribs abd supports were there for the assembly line, nothing more. Peel them off and live free!

7. Thats right, feel free to remove them. We have done it a few times. They are ugly and in the way. We are hot rodders not restorers. Plus the fire wall looks like it should without them.

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Those ribs are an important part of the car's visual appeal...like the split windshield! [​IMG]

Ha Ha...I kinda LIKE 'em being there...I think the engine bay looks weird without 'em...might as well build a Camaro or something if the big, flat firewall turns ya on that much!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Besides...a 2.8 Chevy V6 fits right between 'em...almost as if it were meant to be!)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I do not know if you can get a sbc in without removing some. Even with a short waterpump (mandatory) it is still tight. Just drill them out and be done with it.. it cleans up the firewall.

10. Southfork

Southfork

So, sounds like everybody is removing the ribs. Dang! I would kinda like to keep them. Nobody tried just bending them out at the bottom then? Well, I shouldn't of asked if I did want the answer.

When I tack in the Walton Fabrication motor mounts and slide the mock-up SBC block and tranny into place is will no doubt confirm what everyone is saying, but I was hoping otherwise. I dig the ribs!

11. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I completely removed the ribs and then smoothed the firewall on the 54 I am building for my wife. I am painting this firewall this afternoon. I will try to post a picture but it is not a good one. The dark shadows on the primer are the guide coat that I have been sanding today.

Attached Files:

12. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

if you really want them. how about you cut them out then weld them back further apart. build the ribs around the motor.

i'm working on 54 myself and i'm gonna cut them out and smooth out the firewall. just the way WZ JUNK did his wifes car.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

WZ did what I want to but I plan to also remove the top center bulge and make the dist. cap firewall indent smaller and more contoured to the actual dist...

14. 53_210

53_210

A friend of mine just notched them around the exhaust manifolds. Seems to fit pretty good.

Derrick

15. Southfork

Southfork

Clean work, WZ. What steering are you going to use on your wife's car?

Anybody had any luck with stock Chevy steering after a SBC swap?

16. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Using a Chevy van column. I made a polished aluminum cover for that odd shaped hole you see in the firewall. It covers the part of the hole not filled by the column and it is the lower mount for the column. Car has Mustang front suspension and a Lincoln disc brake rear. I am using a throttle body injected motor. I painted the firewall yesterday. My son should be home with the camera this afternoon and I will try to take another picture.

17. TERPU

TERPU

Cool pics guys! Currently I am running a 327 in my 54. But I have a great running 454 in a Chevy truck. How much clearance problems am I going to run into if I should plant the Big block in there? I want to leave the stock suspension and column just cause I love the look and rebuilt most of the front-end already.

Thanks,
    Tim

18. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Lone Star Round-Up or bust.........Again

Look up that post and you will find that it doesn't too bad to take out those firewall ribs.