Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning up an old intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by marc_805, Dec 7, 2013.

1. marc_805

marc_805

hambers,

what's the safest way to clean up this old intake manifold to factory finish (whatever that should be)? specifically what media should I use or method or whatever is the safest? it's been in my dad's shop since the '60s getting weathered. attached is a cool pic from some other person's vehicle - but I doubt that much polish would have been factory - maybe some of you can tell me?

gracias

Attached Files:

2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Don't glassbead, as it will change the texture. Walnut shells or plastic media would probably be best.

3. 32duece51merc

32duece51merc

I used sand in a blasting cabinet on my old Thickstun aluminum intake. It had been previously painted and the sand cleaned it up nicely. I am happy with the finish/texture.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Soda blasting is the way to go. Doing my SBC cross ram this way.

5. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

You might want to fix that missing stud first, depending on why it's missing, (ie., broken off, stripped threads, or just gone). You could polish the inside some if it's real rough and match the carb inlets to the proper gasket to make flow smoother.

If you use sand and stay far back with the nozzle it won't change the texture. Just be carefull to clean it well with soap and water when you are done.

If you leave it bare when you are done, it's going to look old again in no time once it has been running on an engine.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

All the Thickstun manifolds were factory painted a deep red, heads and aircleaners too, I believe.

7. BobMcD

BobMcD

This is the way to go to keep the original texture.
    <!-- / message -->

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've done several in a sand blast cabinet and they always come out great.

9. fsae0607

fsae0607

Soda or sand.

10. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Soda, definitely.....

11. I've sandblasted at least 20 intakes in my sandblasting cabinet,,no problems with the texture. HRP

12. If you want to keep the "factory finish" I wouldn't blast it at all.........I have cleaned a few in the sink with dishwashing liquid and a tooth brush.