Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning my fuel tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Baggs

Baggs

Ok, dont just assume that i didnt do a search, because i did. but here is my situation. i pulled the fuel tank out of my 54. the tank is perfect on the exterior. just a little dusty. so i pulled the sender out and noticed that there was a little fuel still in the tank. when i say little, i mean like 5-10 oz. so i drained it all out and i got some chunks to come out. i grabbed one of the chunks and it just disintegrated (spelling?) appears to be old fuel that has turned into some sort of sediment. i took some new fuel and poured in a gallon or so and let it sit for a couple hours and drained it out. did this a couple times and the fuel i pour out seems to get more clean each time i do it. my real question is shoudl i just keep doing this until i feel its clean enough? also if it does clean up should i seal the inside with something? i have read about people using gravel and nails with a cleaner. im not against doing this. but if i dont have to i would rather not. i have looked into eastwood and read some bad reviews for their cleaner and sealer. my other thought is using a heated pressure washer to almost "steam" clean the tank and see how it comes out. im looking for some advice before i really go to town on this thing. i really dont want to spend 200-400 on a new tank if i dont have too. thanks

Jason

2. Muttley

Muttley

Call around a find a radiator shop that will clean it up for you. It doesnt cost that much and saves you time and having to clean up a big, big mess. They can also pressure test it to check for leaks, its well worth the money.

3. Baggs

Baggs

good call!! i will call around today. thanks!

4. Baggs

Baggs

Well i called a few local radiator shops and they want nothing to do with my gas tank. the refered me to tankrenu. which i called and they want anywhere between 135 and 200 to clean and reseal my tank. i really dont want to spend that money unless i have no other options. so im back to my original question.