Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cleaning intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tobyflh, Oct 17, 2016.

1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I have an aluminum intake I want to restore to new finish. I found 80 grit glass bead. My question is will blasting it with that work.

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What does the intake manifold fit? If it is exposed to the oil like SBC then I don't like to use a bead blaster on it. You'll never get all the grit off the surface, and hot oil will do a great job of scrubbing it off into your crankcase.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Fresh glass beads do a great job cleaning aluminum. I usually get a batch of parts together and thoroughly empty out the cabinet then fill with new media. Unbroken clean glass beads leave a bright mini shot peened finish. Dirty used media will leave a rougher surface with all kinds of crud and rust embedded in the part. Always wash parts well before use and try to remove shields under intakes before blasting as it can't be completely flushed out after.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Not having a blaster, and having an intake stained with old gas from a gasket leak, I tried NAPA "Aluminum Brightener". With a garden hose and a collection of scrub brushes, it came out pretty good. Doesn't do much for the oily dirt that collects in the nooks and crannies, but some Super Clean and more scrubbing took care of that.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

saltflats likes this.

5. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

thanks landseaandair for the info. also do I need to tape off all the machined surfaces ?

6. squirrel

squirrel

You don't need to tape off machined surfaces...unless you want them to continue to look like machined surfaces. If you do, then, it would be a good idea.

David Gersic and saltflats like this.
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Yep^. Maybe tape over the exhaust crossover passage with duct tape. Lots of sticky crud can collect in there that would hold grit and soap might not be able to knock it loose.

loudbang likes this.