Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning Gas Tank At Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Uh….check the SDS …it does contain hydrofluoric acid…I get it in five gallon pails, it’s not the parts store aluminum wheel cleaner…Look it up.

2. Be very careful with HF in any form. really dangerous.

Hydrofluoric Acid
    Hydrofluoric acid is a highly corrosive chemical primarily causing dermal injury to the hands. Hydrofluoric acid releases free hydrogen ions (H+) that penetrate and corrode the skin, potentially down to bone, producing bone demineralization and necrosis. The respiratory effects parallel those of the skin, except effects in the lungs have a rapid onset and patients present with acute respiratory distress. Hydrofluoric acid is water-soluble and thus predominantly exerts its effects on the upper airways, resulting in rapid onset of tissue damage and bronchoconstriction, in some cases even leading to chemical pneumonitis, delayed-onset pulmonary edema, and death.

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've had really good luck replacing tanks that were rusty inside. Sometimes finding a replacement was a bit difficult, but often finding one that is close often works OK. I've even built a few new tanks from scratch. I don't ever remember having a rust issue with a new tank.

Back in the old days, when a radiator shop would boil a tank out if it wasn't too rusty inside worked well, but we haven't had a radiator shop here for 10 years or more.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. atch

atch

I do not have an answer any better than what you've already read here. However MEK was referred to by the industrial hygienist where I used to work as methyl ethyl death.

5. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Which is why I said use diesel.