Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning diff inside pumpkin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Apr 13, 2012.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I am changing the fluid in my diff including gasket and pinion seal. My fluid was looking pretty bad and I was going to spray brake cleaner to get as much of the old fluid off. Is that safe or should I use something else? Or am I just being too paranoid?

2. Badass

Badass

The same way you wash your ass... with soap and water! Hot water and degreaser will clean everything out. Take it to the car wash if you really want to spray it clean.

As soon as it is clean rinse it with plenty of water. Then spray it out with compressed air. WD-40 (water displacement) will get any left over water out of there... so hose it out with a bunch. Let it all drip out then oil it up. Don't let it rust while it is vulnerable. Get some oil in there right away.

3. amx180mph

amx180mph

Use non chlorinate brake clean 2 cans will do a great job. Then use a Napa product called open gear lube part #1366 spray all the dry bearings it will mix with gear lube and posi additives. My mechanics have used this procedure for over 30 years in my shops. Just a note for your own safety never use compressed air to dry or clean open roller bearings not that what you are doing has an open bearing but just a good mental note to make.

4. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Flush it out good with diezel oil.