Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CLEANING ALUMINUM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt31, May 22, 2018.

1. chopt31

chopt31

I got a aluminum manifold I want to clean, I degreased it, but want it to look CLEAN, I hate media blasting it, is there an acid I can dip it in to makei it look new?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any kind of acid might leave a residue that would look worse than the stains. I've got an Offy intake for my flathead that needs the same treatment and was going to take it town to a machine shop I deal with that has a special cleaning tank for aluminum that it comes out of looking pretty good. I've been putting off doing it because I don't want it to sit around and get nasty looking again.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Aluminum wheel cleaner might work but I'd rather have it glass beaded....

prewarcars4me and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

maybe shot blasting?

I have one I need to clean up a bit too, but it looks like it's never been glass bead blasted...I'd rather not be the first.

5. cretin

cretin

What do you have against blasting? Glass bead won't remove material, but should clean it up nicely.
    You could also have it tumbled, I did that to some BSA engine cases and they looked like new.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

There is some new fangled thing used for bike parts (and engine/gearbox alloy parts) this brings alloy back to as cast look , but I can’t think of the process name?
    Edit found it: I’m sure you have this service over there. http://www.thehydroblastshop.com.au/

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  7. If you want it as-cast new looking, I'm not aware of any cleaners/processes that will do that. I'll agree with Cretin, tumbling or glass-beading would be my choice. This will give you a slightly 'shinier' finish compared to OEM cast but IMO will get you closest, with glass beading tending to 'seal' the surface better and retaining it's finish longer.

Shot blasting (with steel shot) can tend to leave steel 'residue' embedded in the aluminum that can turn to instant rust...

To be honest, I think that sandblasting it and then painting with Sem Aluminablast paint will get you closest, and will probably hold up longer than a raw finish.

48fordnut and olscrounger like this.
  8. I forgot about this one; IIRC it's some sort of laser or high voltage that selectively removes the corrosion but doesn't touch virgin metal. Works pretty slick, but the process is new and the machine isn't cheap...

9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Yep that’s another one the hydro blast was what I was trying to remember

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I've used the aluminum mag wheel cleaner made by Eagle. It does have some acid in it...its cleaned intakes and stuff for me in the past. It's a $7 try..

Saxman and 46international like this.
  11. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

i had a used chevy intake that was painted red...sent it to a local motor rebuild shop and had them put it in there hot tank.....it looked like a brand new intake when it was done....

12. squirrel

squirrel

I worked on mine today...small stainless wire brush, spray can carb cleaner, it's looking clean enough for me. Sitting next to a new aluminum head, it looks rather dingy. But by itself, it looks like a nice old part.

13. Napa makes a product called "Aluminum Brightener" in spray bottles or gallons. It's like $7 for the bottle and $17 for the gallon that works good.

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've stumbled across this method. Bead blasted then a light dusting of Rustoleum Stainless Steel coating. Makes them look brand spankin' new and lasts pretty well. Light dusting keeps the color there but doesn't bubble or lift from the heat. Gas still messes them up.
    SPark

Edel1.jpg Edel2.jpg Edel3.jpg Edel4.jpg Edel5.jpg

48fordnut, Sparked and Deuces like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^This! If you ever seen one done you would already know the answer. I welded the ears back onto a Winters BBC intake after some moron busted them likely prying the intake off, hit it with the die grinder and then over to Russ Meeks for a tumble. Looked brand new!

16. Deuces

Deuces

That looks cool.....:cool:

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Soda blasting works real well.

18. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

AMEN X 2

saltflats likes this.
  20. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I have used vapor blasting for aluminum parts and the they come out looking as cast. These are some before and after pictures of a in and out box done last week.

Attached Files:

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know most of the Corvette guys send their manifolds, etc, to an outfit that uses a tumbling process, and you know how anal-retentive they are.:rolleyes:

22. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I use that stuff and it works really well. It is pretty nasty stuff, so wear rubber gloves, eye protection, etc.

23. Deuces

Deuces

That's how you damage nice castings..... I'd rather glass bead....