Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Classy Chassis 2009, Houston TX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beatnikontinental, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Posting up some of my photos from a great weekend in Houston. The Classy Chassis show (as Ryan mentioned on the JJ a few days back) is a big benefit for the Shriners Children's Hospital in Houston - a really worthy and great cause. 100% of the proceeds from this show benefit the Children's Hospital - so they have lots of folks donating time, supplies and money - a really impressive deal.

A few of us from Austin went to participate - so me (in my '51 Merc), El Jefe with his 57 Caddy(driven by Gary Howard) and the Waco Kid, Reggie and his survivor 36 Ford and Lee Pratt in his rad custom shoebox hit the road to soak up some of that warm Texas sunshine - had a great drive down and rolled right into the Reliant Center to set up. What a great venue. Its the closest I will ever come to playing in the NFL, for sure. Man oh man that AC felt good in there when we rolled in from the road.

Mike Young's Exotica and Jimmy Vaughan's 54 Vicky were already there to add a couple more Gary Howard customs to the mix.

The show had a little of everything - lots of Ferrari's - some exotic sports cars, rare historical vehicles - and we were the greasy hot rodders sneaking in.

my Merc parked on the show floor
    [​IMG]

Jim Jard's truck, Lee's shoebox, Reggie's 36
    [​IMG]

Reggie's 36, Jim's 40 Standard
    [​IMG]

Jimmie's 54
    [​IMG]

The Telephone Road crew set up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Killer Kurtis racecar - looks like all business
    [​IMG]

A seriously sinister leather-bodied Bentley - just evil - this one knocked me out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve McQueen's camera car from LeMans
    [​IMG]

Wild '29 Ruxton roadster
    [​IMG]

The dinner that night was high above the show - the view was great - the cars looked like a Hot Wheels set down there with no people around them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the end of the weekend - The Austin crew came home with a handful of trophies - Lee's shoebox, Mike's Chevy and Jimmie's 54 all took home awards in the post '40 custom class.

And Reggie's 36 got a special Preservation Award - here he is on the Jumbotron scoreboard receiving the goods...
    [​IMG]

heres a link to all my photos from the weekend:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beatnikontinental/sets/72157619780065572/

CLASSY CHASSIS 2009

2. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for capturing this B! I had a blast. This show had the perfect mix of cars and people. The early exotic european cars are incredible......I've not been to a show with exotics of that caliber ever. The most impressive part was how well those of us from the hotrod/custom world were treated and how our cars were genuinely accepted and respected by the folks with the 6 and 7 figure exotics. Those were some kool kats.

3. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, Randy Pimpler (Latemodel34) also took home a trophy with his incredible '32 3-w barn find.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  4. BLAKE

BLAKE

Way to go guys - that's pretty cool, right there!

5. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Great coverage B. There was some sick stuff at this show. Amazing stories on most of these concours type cars and like Reggie said they couldn't have been nicer and more accepting of all us hillbillies that showed up w/ our invited stuff. Made for a very diverse show and the crowd really enoyed getting to see both sides of what folks collect. I can guarantee you though we put more miles on our cars just this weekend than most of those others do in a year or two or more on their cars. It is a great show for a great cause and it's pretty cool that they invite us to be part of it. The marque(feature) car this year at the show was the Ferrari and the Packard. Lotsa red out there on the floor. The Ferrari I liked best was the Black '52 Superleggera that Enzo Ferrari gave as a gift to Henry Ford II. The car is totally unrestored and still has the original paint and interior......it was stellar.

Attached Files:

6. michael_cini

michael_cini

great pics. thanks for that!

7. Great looking cars!