Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Classified add descriptions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oilguy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Well in the restaurant business they say if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

OBO, Or Best Offer. My pet peeve. It really doesn't mean a thing unless they are hoping that you will offer more then the asking.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    clunker, rjones35 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  2. metalman

metalman

I was looking at a car where the ad had "or best offer", he was asking $1200 obo. Even thou it was worth 12 the ad said or best offer, right....so I offered a grand thinking he would counter at 11 and we would both be happy. He replied he wouldn't take a dime less then the 12. I asked him why obo then, he said I could offer more then 12. I really think he thought that is what it means. I shook my head and walked away.
    Other side of the coin...
    I was selling an ot but collector project car a few weeks ago, my ad said "Asking $2000, will consider offers, trades". Without even seeing it first the guy texted me, "take $1000 for your car?" I replied no. He comes back and says but your ad say's you'll take an offer. I said yes, I'll CONSIDER an offer, come see it and we'll talk but it will take more then a grand. He comes back with "I'll take it, I'll give you the $1000, cash". I replied no thanks and he comes back and says "well you said you would take an offer so keep it then you ass hole hoarder". WTF!
    FWIW I had a guy buy it for $1500. Little less then I wanted but a good guy, we had a good visit and it's going to a good home so I really don't think I'm an ass hole hoarder.

3. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Another thing that bugs me is when the seller has a title, but not in their name. I get the reason they do it... to avoid DMV fees, but seriously it creates a hassle trying to get it in your name.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. metalman

metalman

I bought a 57 Chevy like that once, seller informed me he had the title but it hadn't been transferred thru several owners. Imagine my surprise when he handed me the title and it had my name on it! Car had changed so much I hadn't recognized it as my old one. Saved me a trip to the dreaded DMV that time.
    Guess legally I could of just taken the car without paying for it.

5. How about "expressions of interest required"...
    interest.jpg
    If I am selling something for say, $100, and I get a message (not an actual phone call) and it says "will you take $20?,
    I just ignore it, hopefully they get the message.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the thing I don't get is why people dislike "ran when parked". I only drive my 61 dodge a couple times a year. it sat in the back of my garage for 5 years when I needed a new brake drum. it ran just fine when I parked it. which means if it didn't run when I pulled it out to sell it, it would be something minor. if I shot a rod through the side of the block as I pulled it into the garage the last time, I would not put "ran when parked" in my ad.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My personal favorites are:

The verb-less sentence: "Needs rebuilt." "Needs painted."

The fixed price: "No low-ball offers. I know what I have. $10,000, firm!" This is for a car/truck/part worth more that $2500. Bonus points are added if it has been for sale for a few years.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be an odd thing to hoard.

9. Problem is that you are honest, everyone that knows that knows that, but most people have been burned.

Some of the cars that "Ran When Parked" that I have looked at should have said, "Ran Before I Took It Apart." I still go look anyway. Sometimes you get lucky.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ran when parked:
    [​IMG]

clunker, RaginPin3Appl3 and biggeorge like this.
  11. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Annoying when your auction site search words get bushwhacked, especially when it's for new, late model crap!!

Another peeve of mine is car ads, usually from car traders, which state the likes of 'this 1932 Ford has been fully restored to original condition' when it actually states in the detail that it's a such and such glass body and it's obvious to anyone who realises there's nothing else but aftermarket, new parts.

biggeorge likes this.
  12. LOL that one falls under "Needs a little TLC" :D

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Light surface rust.

14. LOL ran aground when parked. :D

Only used for vacations.

wraymen, Oilguy and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and people who call advertisements adds, and not ads. Add is short for addition.

warbird1 likes this.
  16. I'll ad that to my book of things I should have learned in kiddy garter.LOL

That one actually causes me to edit a lot. Add or Ad, then and than, your and you're. . . o_O

Here's a funny one, you don't hear (or here) it much any more but it was common for used car dealers to say it was only driven by a woman to church on Sunday. My aunt Lila was a religious fanatic, she was driving 2 hours one way to church for a while. And when she got behind the wheel she became insane, cussing and driving erratically. LOL

17. Oilguy

Oilguy

Hey, Gimpy. I have already apologized for that twice. Tough crowd!

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just making my addition.

Oilguy and shawnsauto1 like this.
  19. The toughest. I have had more "virtual" black eyes than I can count....just make sure you don't ask them "what's so great about a '32 Ford anyway?", or they will find a way to come through the computer monitor like in "Videodrome"......

[​IMG]

Gotta love em tho

wraymen and Oilguy like this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

Remember when every rotted out mustang fastback was an Eleanor Shelby, and they were trying to get Shelby prices for them

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some still are.

22. metalman

metalman

Ha ha, had to think about what you meant by that, no, I don't hoard those, try to get rid of them.
    Friend of mine bought a 50 Chevy panel truck, got it cheap. Nice old truck but the seller advertised it as a mechanic special, needs wiring, maybe a motor. Seems as thou he was having trouble getting it started. Replaced the battery and cables, nope, replace the starter, still won't crank. He decided it was either the wiring was toast or maybe the engine seized. Frustrated, he didn't want to deal with it so he dumped it cheap. My buddy towed it home, started checking it out. Took the little red and black plastic caps off the posts on the new battery, replaced the cables and off he goes, driving it.

23. oldcarnut47

oldcarnut47

TLC = TRUCK LOAD OF CASH

clunker, wraymen and Oilguy like this.
  24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

How bout the old favorite "all the hard work is done". Usually means they've got some clusterfuck contraption someone has stopped working on before any "hard work" was actually completed.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

How about "no scammers". Yup, that'll stop em'. Scammers don't wanna do you any wrong so they'll stay away...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

No tire kickers. Who kicks tires?

Gary

27. 1pickup

1pickup

Here's a small one, but it bugs me: "49' Mercury" What the hell is it? A Yacht? Or is it a bunch of '49 Mercs welded together to get to that 49 feet. 49' = 49 feet. '49 = 1949.

28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10K cash or trade.
    Trade value more...... 15 K.

(You get the drift)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

"Cash is King "

Wanna Bet ?
    When you have to ask your wife if you can buy it, She's the King and you're the Queen.

clunker and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Duellym

Duellym

I like the people who post screenshots of pictures in their phones camera roll, for all we know they downloaded the pics off google.

There's also the people who post scams and it's really obvious, not to long ago I was looking at a toyota truck for 5 grand, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure there's no palm trees in mass.