Register now to get rid of these ads!

Classic vs. Antique Registration in Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cleetus77, Nov 27, 2011.

1. cleetus77

cleetus77
    from austin, tx

So after long last I've finally managed to buy my first true classic, a 53 Chevy truck. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of Classic vs. Antique registration? Also, if I go with YOM plates for my truck, do I need 2 or will 1 suffice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. First, as many will tell you, a 53 Chevy is not a true classic. It is an antique. Does TX have different plates and registrations for antiques and classics? I sorta doubt it.

3. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

YOM plates usually sport two as regular plates. antique plate you only get one issued.

by the way, welcome from la porte, tx. need to make an intro topic first.

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

If you register it as a classic you have to get it inspected and you are allowed to drive it anywhere anytime.
    If you register it as an Antique no inspection is required and by law you are only allowed to drive it in parades, to and from special events, to and from a garage for service or repair etc.....
    I have registered my cars both ways, currently running antique plates on both of them and drive them daily with no hassles, so far.
    If you run YOM plates you do have to have both plates when you register it but only have to run one on the back. They probably want to make sure someone else doesnt try to register a vehicle with the other matching plate.

5. I run an antique plate on my '29 and drive it all over hell. It's cheap and ya only need one!

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thought YOM plates were done in october... you cant register any new ones as of now from what I heard...

I roll antique plates and have no issues... drive everywhere and dont care... 88 bucks for 5 yrs aint bad by any means...

7. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

8. houston54

houston54

So let me ask a question to those running antique plates on a daily basis.

How do you have it insured? As a classic or as a daily driver?

If you do have it insured as an antique (limited use) car with Haggerty's or one of the other companies and have an accident when it is being used as a daily driver how are you covering your liability to whoever you hit? If you think the insurance company is not going to investigate the matter you are foolish and you put everyone on the road with you at risk because you are too cheap to do what is right and required.

I will be glad to call your insurance companies attention to your actions.

Do not be a dickhead - pay the required fees.

In response to the original poster thought..
    If you want to drive it on a daily basis it can be registered as a Classic truck which will cost you $10 more or as a regular vehicle. It will need to be inspected for basic safety requirements but not emmissions. The cost is $15/year. You will need to meet the minimum liability insurance coverage requirements.
    If the truck is for show ONLY then register it as an antique.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  9. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

well houston54, mine is covered through haggerty and only drive it to shows and has antique plates. 95% of the time it's put up in the garage.

10. Most owners of antique automobiles(myself included) are way more careful with their cars than the average soccer mom texting/putting on makeup/babysitting while driving. I've not seen/heard of many causing serious accidents.

11. 1959apache

1959apache

So you're that guy, huh?

12. cleetus77

cleetus77
    from austin, tx

Ok, cool--I guess "classic" is the designation I need, then; and I beg your pardon, Carl, but if a '86 Ford Tempo can qualify for Antique plates I think my '53 is quite the classic...and in the great state of Texas we do have separate designations:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/veh_type.htm

I don't plan on driving it *too* much but do want to make sure I've got my rear covered. I am curious, though--I was reading the below thread the other night--has anyone tried the "exhibiting" loophole (check out kickinrod's post)? It looks like it's tailored for Texas; I know my dad in TN is only supposed to take his out for shows, etc.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97015

Am I correct to understand that YOM plates are ok on Classics AND Antiques?

Thanks everyone for all of your help and the warm welcome; I feel like I've been watching these forums from the sidelines for way too long!

Oh--one last thing--DJLatin--what is an intro topic and how do I make it?

Thanks y'all!

13. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

14. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Take your own advice

15. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

All of mine have been registered as "Antique" with "YOM" plates, insured as Antique/Specialty Vehicle, and driven everyday.

16. Originally Posted by houston54
    I will be glad to call your insurance companies attention to your actions.
    Do not be a dickhead - pay the required fees. TALK ABOUT A DICK-HEAD, MUST BE A SMALL TOWN COP?

17. houston54

houston54

My apologies. I guess the correct term would be "thief" as you are stealing from not only Texas but also those of us who pay the correct fees to register and drive our vehicles on Texas roads.

For as much as people slam thieves on this site, and rightly so, it seems an exception is made for those not following the law in this matter.

For the small amount you may be saving you are putting at risk anyone else on the road with you, anyone riding with you, and your family's financial welfare.

I guess if you gave a crap about anyone else but yourself you would already be carrying the required insurance and paying the fees that go to pay for the roads you are using. Instead, you remain a dickhead thief in my book.

18. How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? The answer is four. You can call his tail a leg, all you want, but it's still a tail.
    Call you car whatever pleases you, but don't expect the world to agree, The "great" state of Texas has some rather vague and nebulous definitions as to what constitutes an antique or a classic. It seem to be based upon intended usage and whether or not it is subject to inspection, rather than age or status as a classic. As is true with any government run agency, it's all about the money

19. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

You're driving it to the shop, test driving it after doing some work, driving it to get the fluids flowing to keep things lubricated, meeting some car guys to go cruising, etc.

20. Fenders

Fenders

Yes but when the officer stops you at 7:30 AM on Thursday on your way to work and you use the excuse, then what do you say when he asks "And where were you going when I saw you at this time on Monday, and Tuesday, and yesterday?"

Cops have schedules, just as you do.... Don't press your luck.

kidcampbell71 likes this.