Register now to get rid of these ads!

Classic Instruments speedometer pegged the wrong way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snegrah, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Howdy...anybody have a Classic Instruments electronic speedometer pegged in the wrong direction? Mine is pegged at the other side of the pin and obviously it ain't working. Anyone experience this...if so is there a fix or do I gotta' send it back? Even though the car has....maybe 1,000 miles in five years it's outta' warranty.

Thanks

2. Richard Head

Richard Head

I had that happen on one of their tri five clusters. The owner of the car thought that I hooked it up wrong, although it was working fine when I put it in. I took the face off and returned the needle back by hand and it worked fine again. He never had a problem again.

If you have a standard round gauge, you will probably have to send it back, since the faces are not easy to get off.

Dave

3. Larry T

Larry T

You might call Classic, I'm sure they've had more experience with the problem than anyone here. They might have a quick, easy fix.
    Larry T

4. purple5window

purple5window
    from MI

Try taking the pulse generator off of the tranny and spinning it with a drill, pretty fast, once the needle catches the signal, slowly reduce the speed of the drill. What happened is the gauge lost power or something with the needle over center and it fell over on the wrong side. When the gauge has power now the movement is trying to hold the pointer at zero but it can't with a stop in the way.

Just a suggestion, try it and let me know how it works.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Trust me they will take care of you, warranty or not.
    A couple of years ago I was walking thru the vendor area during the NSRA Kzoo event on that Sunday and stopped in their booth just to look. I made a comment to one of the sales guys about my gauges and how much I loved them. I also mentioned that my gas gauge wasn't working and what a pain in the butt it was going to be cuz I was leaving on a cross country trip. He asked me if the car was on the grounds. I said yes and he said lets go. We walked to Big Olds, he took a look, asked if I could get the gauge out and if so bring it to him and he'd get it fixed. Within a few minutes the gauge was out, I walked it back to him, Monday they fixed it and put it in the mail to me. I had the gauge on Tuesday, put it back in the car Tuesday night and left on a 7,000 mile cross country trip the next day. Been working perfect since then and he didn't charge me a dime. Now THAT'S customer service.

6. Lugnut II

Lugnut II

Call Classic, They are GREAT.

7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree that their customer service is great. I had problems with one of their temp gauges years ago. After talking to them about it they sent me a new one without me even having to return the old one.

8. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

I agree!
    Mark

9. Larry T

Larry T

Wouldn't driving the car do the same thing?
    Larry T

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but it's pegged in the wrong direction, so you'd likely have to drive the car VERY fast.