Register now to get rid of these ads!

classic commercial. couldn't help myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chromedaddyo, Jun 26, 2008.

1. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

2. Had one. Cheater slick, too. Never got around to mounting the 'chute, though.

3. Cirilian

Cirilian

4. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I'll be making one of those for the grandkids when they learn to ride bikes! Awesome!!

5. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Much simpler then, see the barefoot riders, funny that Whamo never got sued. Well I guess that was before the hot coffee lawsuit

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I remember those, in fact there is one on the bay right now that's up over $100. My kids told me that when they were little I used to get them "Death Toys". They survived and had lots of fun doing it.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I did a lot of product photography for "Wham-O" back in the 70's. Everyone there that I worked with really enjoyed their jobs.
    Dick Landy's wheelstanding Dodge Dart was filmed for this commercial one afternoon at the Santa Anita Race Track parking lot in Arcadia where the Westfield Mall is today. The Wham-O offices were in San Gabriel.

8. Scott

Scott

The Whamo superball was more dangerouser

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is it wrong that I want to buy a stingray bike and mount one of those on it?:D

I guess you can't go back.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I threw my Superball hard into the shower stall to watch it bounce all around, and it immediately gave me a bloody nose. GREAT toy, though.

11. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

oh yeah!....I need to make one for my stingray.

12. dutched32

dutched32

13. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

never had that contraption, but i could pull the wheel off the ground and ride it for awhile without that toy hanging down

that looks to darn easy

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you'll shoot your eye out kid!

15. When we were about 10 years old my best friend and I took a SuperBall to the top (observation deck) of the Empire State Building. Our plan was to drop it and see how high it would bounce. Good idea huh? Fortunately we chickened out.

16. customcory

customcory

My brother sold a NOS one on E-Gay for more than 700 dollars a few years ago. The box had Ed Roth art work on it!:D

17. Muttley

Muttley

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I wonder if that was Drew Carreys first break into show business?

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Where the hell are their helmets!!! The arm and knee pads!!! Oh my god!!!!

20. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Kids in no shoes on bikes, no helmets, no pads, and on a city street. !!! Where are all of the revenue generating flatfeet?

They need to be tossing around some metal tipped yard darts while under 4'9" with no seatbelt or booster seat while in the back of a 1957 farm truck with no airbags or side marker lights. They should also have Red Ryder BB guns and hand painted home made lead soldiers. Plastic disc guns, store bought chemistry kits, slingshots, firecrackers, bottlerockets, M80's, and a host of other nefarious toys we all grew up with. I am surprised any of us lived!!!:D

21. gaschevy

gaschevy
    BANNED

On my stingray i had a twisted square stock sissy bar just like the choppers of the day (1971). Green schwinn with 3 speed shifter.

22. belair

belair

My friend had a Schwin (grape kart?) with a "factory" set up like that. SUPER BALL RUUULED!!!

23. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

That brought back memories! I did wear a toy football helmet sometimes though when I was jumping with my home made ramps........

Al in CT

24. PoPo

PoPo

that is freakin awesome. i tried to make something like that when i was kid, well lets just say it didnt hold up as well and I fell on my butt

25. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Thats wild! Back when I was 10 or so(1975) I customized some training wheels to do the same thing .Lets say they didn't work and I still have the scar to prove it.After all these years I thought I had an original idea.Huh who knew...PAUL

26. I used to ride barefoot like that all the time when I was little (in the early 70's)... until my foot got caught between the chain and the pedal gear the first day of vacation one year. My mom made me wear a plastic bag over my foot "to keep the sand out"- Oh, what joyful memories!

27. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I remember an old magazine ad for those things...showed Dick Landy pulling a wheelie on one of them bikes...cigar in his mouth and all!

28. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Remember when after summer vacation, Everyone got to show off thier new "summer scars"?

Man. If You didn't bleed at least a little during the week, You were just bored. You didn't do anything.

The world of Wham-O was a dangerous place. I miss it. I also miss red ryder B.B. gun fights, Playing football in a grass lot filled with various forms of death, fire ants, and gots head stickers., Fence picket sword fights, jumping my Bike off of anything We could hold down long enough to jump it off of, and speed wobbles on my skateboard. nothing better than good 'ol speed wobbles to scare the shit out of You and make You really appreciate the skin on Your hands, knees, feet and shoulders.

New topic. Who remembers thier first concussion?

29. that was a great commercial! never had one but wanted one really bad. had a chance to ride one so i stopped bugging dad for one before he killed me because i was driving him crazy.

30. cbreezer

cbreezer

Hey, you forgot to mention cracking the "CLACKERS".