Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Clark Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by etboy97, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Is it the angle of the pic or is the oil fill tube extra long:rolleyes:? What paint did you use?

loudbang likes this.
  2. etboy97

etboy97

There is some rolled up paper sticking out of the filler tube so it's not as long as it looks in the photo. I used epoxy primer and acrylic urethane to paint it.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Bugguts

Bugguts

I just spent an enjoyable couple hours catching up on your build. You have some mad skills and do a great job thinking outside the box. I just purchased a 30 Coupe and will be looking back at your thread for inspiration and ideas. Thanks for taking us along on the adventure!

loudbang likes this.
  4. etboy97

etboy97

Engine is back in the car and I am working on getting everything hooked up. Also have some more wiring to do. PXL_20210918_165553719.jpg

5. etboy97

etboy97

Got the motor running a week ago or so and was able to back it out under it's own power. PXL_20210929_215822854.jpg

6. etboy97

etboy97

Today I gathered up all my courage and patience and went to the DMV to start the process to get the car registered and inspected by the CHP for a VIN number. I of course get a person who had never done one of these before who checked with their supervisor who also had never done one these. As I was well prepared and had all my documents and forms ready and was very very polite. We were able to work though it together in 40 minutes. I was a little worried at first. Next step is waiting for my CHP inspection. On a side note today I decided to finally order my tires and tubes today from Coker today only to find out they are out off all of their tubes and do not know when they will have them. Probably sitting on one of those 40 ships backed up in the harbor here waiting to offload.

7. I have seen tire tubes in the auto Dept at the local farm supply store.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Are you running a road draft tube ?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. etboy97

etboy97

No my motor did not have one. It's a 56 324 so not sure what year they stopped using them. On my motor where the road draft tube was mounted on earlier motors my motor has a plate with a 1/2" hose barb connection point. I ran a hose from this to a early 60's Chevy PCV valve attached to the back of the carb with a brass 90. PXL_20211014_192444540.jpg

10. etboy97

etboy97

Got the other carbs mounted up along with the Weiand valve covers.
    PXL_20211022_215703627.jpg
    My CHP inspection is set for the middle of November.

11. Looks great! Do you recall how tall your radiator is? My Walker is 26 1/2 and is too high giving that uphill look to the radiator compared to the cowl.

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang likes this.
  13. etboy97

etboy97

My recollection is that it had a 2" chop. Top of top tank to bottom of bottom tank is about 25".

loudbang likes this.
  14. etboy97

etboy97

Got through my CHP inspection okay last month and was assigned a VIN number which the officer mounted on the drivers side A pillar door jamb. The officer spent about 90 minutes to look over my paperwork, photo build book, and to attach the tag. He did not make me take the car off the trailer. I also had to go to an Official Lamp Inspection station to have someone inspect that the headlights, brake lights, and turn signals work. After all of this I went back to the DMV thinking that I would be all done. Wrong. Now I have to take the car to see a smog check referee to get a smog exemption certificate. I think for most DMV workers this is probably a once in a career type transaction as on each visit the DMV worker has to consult with a supervisor who in turn has to consult with their supervisor. I have to start my smog ref adventure with a phone consultation which is not for another 4 weeks and then I will have to schedule the in person inspection. So while not great news I am making progress. On a good note Cooker Tire has the tubes I wanted back in stock and I have tires and tubes on their way to me.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What headers are those? Thanx, n.c.

16. etboy97

etboy97

I made them from purchased flanges and mandrel bends.

lothiandon1940, catdad49, Tim and 5 others like this.
  17. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Great job, super attention to detail, top notch fab work and overall craftsmanship. Just beautiful.
    Oh, and just another day in Commyfornia. Hope the smog exemption goes well. Fingers crossed for ya...

loudbang likes this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice fit. I was hopping those were off the shelf units. But a close look , I can there’re not.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Amazing work! Just spent the last couple of days reading from start to now. Can’t wait to see a driving video, prob only a few months away from that point.

loudbang likes this.
  20. etboy97

etboy97

PXL_20220120_210623646.jpg
    I have been out of town a lot the last two months but finally had some time to work on Clark. Got the tires mounted and on the car yesterday. I also had my phone consultation with the smog referee yesterday morning. He told me I had to go back to the DMV and get my SB-100 number first (only 500 per year and I got #12) after 2.5 hours at DMV which involves calling Sacramento I was given my #. Like I noted previously most DMV employees have have never heard of a SB 100 much less process one. It's been a learning curve for me as well. Now I have to wait for the actual certificate so I can book my first of two appointments with the smog referee for my smog exemption. I know you none California guys don't care about all this. The good thing that came out going to the DMV was they gave me a temporary operating permit that is good till the end of March so I fired up Clark today and took him on his maiden voyage. First just around the block and once I realized the brakes worked fine I ventured out a little further for 20 minutes just in the residential area by my house. I still don't have the floor in so it makes driving a little harder. Will get that installed next.

21. etboy97

etboy97

For you guys with Olds Rockets i just figured out why one off my header bolts is damp and looking rusty. I pulled out a spare head I had and realized that the two lower outside header bolts go through to the water jacket so I need to pull those and seal them.

22. etboy97

etboy97

I have to correct my previous post. All three of the lower exhaust manifold bolts go into the water jacket.

lothiandon1940, Tim and loudbang like this.
  23. The hot rod looks great on the street! Glad you are at the point that we all wished we were with our projects. I am close but not quite there yet.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Congratulations on the successful drive. I bet you had a big smile on your face.:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  25. Car is looking awesome. I went thru the Calif DMV thing a number of years ago. I was at the local DMV office first thing in the am on the first business day of the new year. I had heard that SB-100 numbers sold out quickly and did not want to miss out. There were 3 other guys there doing the same thing.

loudbang likes this.
  26. etboy97

etboy97

PXL_20220124_224656945.jpg
    Floor is in. When I do the interior some day I plan on having a rubber mat type flooring.

27. etboy97

etboy97

PXL_20220124_225732731.jpg
    I incorporated an Olds horn button onto the Ford horn ring. Not sure what year Olds this is from.
    PXL_20220124_225520170.jpg
    The Rocket Circle emblem is an item that was a Oldsmobile dealer giveaway for repeat customers. It was meant to attach to the top of the dash. I had modified the dash so that it would recess and look more like a emblem. When the dealer gave you one it came with number stickers so you could stick onto it to show many Olds you had purchased.
    PXL_20220124_225246656.jpg
    1938 Fisk Tire token shift knob I made.

28. etboy97

etboy97

Major milestone today.
    The smog referee process took over four months to complete. After a couple of virtual appointments I was able to get all of the paperwork and photos they wanted then I was told it would be sent in for final approval at which point I would be cleared for a in person appointment with the car. The waiting to be cleared took three months ending last week. I then was able to get a in person referee appointment for yesterday. Referee was a total old car person who got me out of there with the final smog exemption paperwork I needed. Got in to the DMV today and ended up with the same counter lady I started the process with back in November. A few minutes later I left with a pair of license plates and the registration will be coming in the mail. I am finally street legal.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that’s great! What a great looking hot rod

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. catdad49

catdad49