Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chuck Daigh has passed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old Dawg, May 5, 2008.

1. :(While running my aged Champ Car at Buttonwillow Raceway this last weekend, I learned that Chuck Daigh had died last week. Chuck, as many of you may remember had a remarkable career as a builder, tuner, and driver. He wrenched, drove and tuned on everything from hotrods to exotics (such as Reventlows' Scarabs).
    I remember, as a teenager, watching Chuck sling the flathead Merc powered Troutman-Barnes Special around the narrow road course at Torrey Pines (San Diego, CA). Although I never met the man, I know people who knew, and worked with Chuck. The picture I get was that he was a sharp, mild mannered fellow; but "tough as nails".
    The friend who told me of Chuck's death, was Chuck's attending physician. He told me that Chuck had been feeling weak for many days, before complaining. The "Doc" took Chuck, from the lunch they were having with buddies, to his medical facilities. There, the Doctor determined that Chuck was suffering with Emphysema and Congestive Heart Failure. Hospitalized, Chuck passed away several days later at the age of 84. Just this last August, this same Doctor, talked Chuck into driving his, the Doctor's, Ford T-bird at the Monterey Historics. I saw Chuck in the Doctor's pit area, but, still didn't meet him. He still looked "tough as nails".
    Go speed, Chuck!
    "Ol Dawg"

2. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

That is sad. Sounds like he had a good life. Did he race the dry lakes with the SCTA club Dolphins outa Long Beach?

Keven

3. Yes, I think he was in the group. Probably before WW2. Maybe after the War, too. I'm sure there'll be some complete "Obits" in some of the major motor sports mags.
    "Dawg"

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

5. Ovwe the years, I have read of the exploits of Chuck Daigh and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

6. RIP Chuck, A great hot rod pioneer.

The Daigh brothers T
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Taladegaoverdrive

Taladegaoverdrive

The account of Chuck Daigh's passing is essentually correct but gives the impression that Chuck passed shortly after entering the hospital (Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach) but in fact he died 13 weeks later after being released twice to "rehab" Facilities (one in Newport and one in Huntington Beach) and finally back to Hoag for the third time into the CCU (Cardiac Care Unit). I visited him nearly every Saturday and some Tuesdays and his immune system just got too low to fight everything you can get in a hospital.