Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Windsor poly motor worth anything

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacktopicasso, Feb 20, 2014.

1. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I have a chance to purchase from a custom shop the running gear (motor/trans) from a 56 Chrysler Windsor. He said it was a 301? with a 2 spd. Does this sound right and the price is $200. I was told it was a runner when pulled this past summer. Not sure how good or if the trans worked . What is the availability of parts and what other motors have interchange parts. Anyone make adapter parts.
    Is it worth the $200 or anyone need parts. I hate to see it get scraped.

2. If it's running it would be worth $200. Smaller ones aren't as desirable. Your's might be a 303 if it's a 56'. 301's were 1957 only if I remember right? Cool motors, pricey to build. Parts are available, some parts from the Hemi's are interchangeable. I have a 354 Chrysler poly that's going in my 30' Chrysler coupe. I also have a 301 poly motor. I wanted to build a different motor besides the norm!

3. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

The engine number is located on the top front of the block. It's in front of the intake. The first 4 digits should be something like,
    WE55, 301 Cubic inches
    WE56, 331 Cubic inches
    WE57, 354 Cubic inches
    LE57, 354 Cubic inches
    The short block (with the exception of pistons) is a hemi.

Search hemi tech index.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IF it is a '56 model it is a 331" engine. In that period the Windsor's lagged a year behind the NY as to displacement.

'55 Windsor 301 poly - '55 New Yorker & 300 331 hemi

'56 Windsor 331 poly - '56 New Yorker & 300B 354 hemi

'57/8 Windsor 354 poly - '57/8 New Yorker & 300C/D 392 hemi

Plenty of parts available as are adapters.

If we lived closer, I'd be interested in it........but If my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle :D

5. George

George

They're not that bad an engine & can be converted to hemi. most short block related parts interchange so they' available. Check out the Hemi Tech Index. $200 is a great price regardless of weather it's a '55 301 Chr or a '56 331 Poly. The '57 301 Plym Poly is an "A" Poly, totally different engine.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  6. 73RR

73RR

IMHO, the Spitfire engines are very much underappreciated by the gear heads. A quick look at the original published hp and tq numbers say they have plenty of potential with the canted valve arrangement.
    Yes, plenty of parts interchange with the Chrysler Hemi engines (NOT the Plymouth A series). Plenty of trans adapters, forged pistons, camshafts, and such available.

7. what ^^^^ they said....and if it's got a 4 barrel intake your ahead by one part....

8. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Oh, just kind of rereading your original post. I would never recommend trying to use that dinosaur tranny. It was not so good when it was new and now it will cost a bundle to rebuild to the crappy original condition. Many vendors here sell adapters for a more modern tranny and you will save $ in the long run. Do you know someone that has a big boat that needs an anchor? The engine is good- the tranny not.

9. George

George

Yup! "73RR" makes a good adaptor for the 727, T R waters here also has them.

10. 35desoto

35desoto

That dinosaur tranny maybe expensive to rebuild but in their time they were very strong and very reliable. They (the powerflyte and torqueflyte trans) were renown for their durability. yes there are now better transmissions and more options however in the time they were produced Chrysler produced very good transmissions and engines and diffs and suspensions and.... They may not always have the best body styling however the Corporation was known for great engineering

11. 73RR

73RR

That is just what 'those' people like to say just to try and make themselves feel better about something that looks like a 59 shiverlay...:D
    IMHO, there are few cars that look better than a 62 Chrysler.

12. 35desoto

35desoto

True 73RR there are many fine looking Mopars - just some of the breed were a little off beat or stodgy in the early years but extremely sound and well built cars. Plus styling is a very personal thing. As they progressed they became very desirable, However all this detracts from the original post. I know my Dodge, Desoto and Plymouth engines so will leave the comments over the Chrysler Spitfire to those who know better
    Mopar or no car

13. luke13

luke13

they were always runners before they were pulled, if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that, but $200 is more than likly a bargin, even after youve pulled it down and the piston rings fallout in two or more pieces. youll be thinkin good thing i didnt pay $500. which then means you theoreticly have $300 to put towards parts.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Years ago they were nothing, today a lot of guys are going for the unusual old motors even poly Chryslers. If you put it in your hot rod it will be the only one in town. And, they were good strong motors with good hop up potential, but always overshadowed by big brother hemi.

If you like it and can use it, $200 may not be a bad price. Try to talk him down, for scrap it is worth about $50.