Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Hemi Generator/Regulator Wiring Confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vegas, Aug 23, 2010.

1. vegas

vegas

I am to the stage of installing my wiring harness in my coupe, and I was a little confused on the charging system wiring. I am using a '55 Chrysler 12v generator, and a 12v Negative ground voltage regulator. My wiring harness has a large "Alternator" wire, and a small "Exciter" wire. Looking at my Chrysler service manual, it shows a positive ground system, but I think the large "alternator" wire should go to the "Batt" terminal on the regualtor, then the "Field" and "Arm" terminals should go to those corresponding terminals on the generator, and the "Exciter" wire from the fuse box is not used in this type of system? Am I correct? Any help on this would be great.
    Also, after doing a search on here trying to figure this out, I found posts about "flashing" the generator. I know I need to polarize the regulator, but do I need to polarize the generator too somehow? :confused:

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

What you propose to do will work. Polarizing the generator is where you need to be careful. I would look at the manual that refers to the Chrysler system you are using. This will explain the process and how to do it correctly. You polarize the generator, the regulator does not get polarized.

Another good thing to do is to bring a ground wire up to the generator case from good chassis ground. Same thing for regulator.

3. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I believe 1956 was the first year for 12 volt in Mopars.Most 6 volt were postive ground.

4. vegas

vegas

The regulator I am using was NOS, and still in the box. The box has directions on how to polarize it, and says it must be done, or the car won't charge. So, if this is done, is there another proceedure for the generator itself?

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

This procedure IS the generator polarization. Regulator doesn't need polarization as it is just regulating voltage and current from the generator.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

U R correct!:cool:

7. vegas

vegas

Hmmm..maybe I have a 56 Generator then...Thanks for clearing up the polarization confusion for me!

8. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

That's right- 1955 and earlier Chrysler cars had a 6 volt positive ground charging system. In 1956 they went to a 12 volt negative ground system. I'm in the process of converting my '55 Desoto over to 12 volt using 1956 Chrysler and Desoto parts.