Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Alternator/Voltage Regulator Issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pickled_asparagus, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

I've been noticing at idle my lights (dash and head) on my T-Bucket getting dimmer/bright/dimmer etc. at an idle AND while going down the road. The belt is tight and the car idles around 1000rpm. I had the alternator tested at NAPA and it checked out fine. I checked the brushes and they aren't that worn. Could this be the voltage regulator starting to crap out?

I'm quite certain that I'm NOT running a factory chrysler voltage regulator. Attached are pictures. The alternator I'm assuming is a later model (or aftermarket Chrysler with a little chrome box on the back with wires going into the back of the alternator. I'm assuming this is the regulator but it doesn't look like either style chrysler regulator that i've seen. If the regulator's bad, no big deal, but there's nothing on the alternator case that says what brand it is or where I can get one of these little chrome boxes. It is a single wire alternator with only 1 wire coming from the starter solenoid (battery).

I put a voltmeter on and the battery is obviously charging, (even at an idle I have like 14v). I rewired the car about a 3 months ago.
    I'm trying to get it fixed before the Hunnert-Car Heads up next weekend!
    Pictures below:

Close-Up of the little chrome box
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Top View, Note the chrome box on the lower back of the alternator
    [​IMG]

2. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Check your grounds. What is the voltage at the alternator at idle and at about 2000 rpm. Sounds like excessive resistance. (weak ground)

3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The regulator is a aftermarket made by Transpo electronics check with a local starter and alternator rebuilding shop pr PM me.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Dude!! I wheres the rest of the pics of the car and engine? I wanna see more!! :)

5. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Dig the Big Block Mopar! I had the same problem but I was running the old alternator with the points style regulator and it was anoying with my headlights and electric fuel pump going up and down in voltage. Could never get it to stop doing that. I finaly changed over to the later style alternator with the solid state regulator and all the problems went away. I got the wire harness and regulator for the newer setup out of a 70s dodge wagon (its the regulator with the triangular plug).

6. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

Thanks for the replies guys! e1956v - thank you for identifying this! I ordered one online yesterday and should have it tomorrow. Even if it isn't the problem I'll have a spare.

Once I rig up my coolant overflow, I'll be ready for drag racing!

I'll post some pics of the car when I get home from work

7. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

At the 2011 Milwaukee World of Wheels:

[​IMG]

8. nice Six Pak Bucket - must be a bit hairy when the end carbs open!