Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chroming some 94's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by delaware george, Oct 8, 2003.

1. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

I'm getting ready to redo my 94's and was thinking about chrome...I've seen some,but was wondering if any precations had to be taken to keep the chrome from messing up how things worked on the inside? maybe it would be better to polish them? anyone have any chrome or polished carbs or had any experiences with them?....it's not a show rod,but I want the motor to look really impressive

2. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

3. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Everything Ive read says DONT chrome. Reasons from kills performance to makes the base metal brittle.

You can get some nice materials from Eastwoods and do an external colorizing.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I know of lots of chromed carbs.
    They're all on show cars or on mantlepieces.
    If you do chrome the carbs, make sure you get the chrome only on the outside. Lots of little passages to mess up in a carb.

"You're in a maze of twisty little passages, all different!"
    [​IMG]

5. BigJim394

BigJim394

You used to be able to buy already chromed 94s from some speed catalogs back in the 60's (can't remember if it was Almquist or Honest or maybe Whitneys).
    A friend has a set of 3 on his Red Ram Hemi and they work fine. It might be hard to find a plater who would want to try plating them these days. You are going to have to figure how to stop up the internal passages so they don't get semi clogged with plating deposits and you might want to get really familiar with a dremel tool with sanding discs and mini buffing pads to get the carbs as polished as you can before taking them to the platers. The old chromed ones do show up at swaps now and then. They are not cheap.

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

you'll never believe the miracle tape they use in the chrome shop to mask off stuff, some fancy-assed stuff called "electrical tape". really thats it. you can get some rubber stoppers to fit in certain holes, etc. it just takes a lot of dilligence to make sure your masking is "watertight" to the inside of the carb.

7. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I've always wondered if you could fill it with plaster or wax to protect the inner passages.

Plaster you could soak out, and wax you can boil out.

8. Eastwood's "almost chrome" powdercoat looks like polished aluminum when it's done, would that be enough sparkle for ya?

9. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

yeah,chrome may not be the way to go...i was at a cruise night and a guy was runnining some older chromed 97's on a 40 and they looked bad ass,minus those tacky stickers.....maybe i'll hit one of the bad ones on a buffer to see what happens...thanks guys

Attached Files:

10. TV

TV

If it were me ,I would polish them only. You could then paint them with clear, they look really good polished.--TV

11. Bugman

Bugman

This carb was $5 at a swap meet. Junk carb, so badly corroded that the insides are solid, and the throttle shaft is rusted tight. I got bored and spend maybe 4 hours sanding and buffing one day. You can see the results. You will need a dremel for the tight areas. Buy the way, I now use it as a paperweight on my desk at school. [​IMG]

-Jeff Tanko

12. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

There's a chrome shop in Menasha, Wi that has no problem plating carbs...just had them do 6 strombergs fer me...gave me a good deal on 'em too...you don't have to worry too much about blocking any shit off in 'em, cuz the chrome won't stick in a hole...it'll only collect around the rim of one...any of the shit that would get into the carb would be mostly just buffing compound...this you can get out with torch tip cleaners, pipe cleaners or a dental pick....The place that did mine is called "The Chrome Shop" the # is (920)727-9444. The guy to talk to is Steve Campbell...he's the man in charge...