Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitch28, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Mitch28

Mitch28

I don’t post to much but hope this is the right place, trying to find a good place to have chrome plating done. I am working on a 1938 Chevy coupe, the grill needs a little bit of repair and some other parts that I would like to have done. I would like to keep original as much as possible. I live Kansas . I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or dealing with any plating shops. Thanks in advance for any help.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. Mitch28

Mitch28

Thought it might be more reasonable to chrome wasn’t sure. It’s not a high end show car. I see now they even have chrome powder coat haven’t looked at that yet.

4. Looks like severe orange peeled paint and does not resemble chrome at all. The coater I visited for my shoebox chrome said he could get the orange peel out but the luster of chrome isn't there at all. If you want chrome get chrome and not a paint look alike as it looks like paint.

32Dan likes this.

5. Mitch28

Mitch28

That is kinda what I have been hearing, just trying to find someone you can trust to do the repair and the job right.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

anyone with info?

7. gatz

gatz

Try Industrial Plating in Omaha.
    You'd have to ask if they do repairs.......IDK

upload_2018-7-4_15-39-17.png

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is a place in Dubuque, Iowa......has done great work, several times, for a good friend of mine. I don’t know/remember the name of the place, but an internet search should turn up something ....

Ray

9. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is AIH Plating in Dubuque. They did the plating on Seger's 37 Chevy coupe build. http://aihchrome.com/ 16182900257_346e048bc1.jpg

10. Mitch28

Mitch28

Thanks everyone for info

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the car is to be kept "mostly original", as you stated, be careful a great looking, re-chromed grill won't look out of place on the car.

Years ago, I removed the steering column from my mostly original Model A roadster to replace the bearing. While I had it out, I decided to re-paint it. When it was all painted and re-installed, it stood out like a sore thumb. I then fixed up a few more things, so they'd blend in together and before I new it, the whole car was torn apart and I was in the middle of a complete (and expensive) restoration I couldn't afford at that time in my life.
    Just saying......

12. Mitch28

Mitch28

No exactly what you’re talking about !!