Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome Wheels and Rust Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1940 Willys Coupe, Aug 3, 2007.

1. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Anyone know how to remove rust from a chrome wheel other than using steel wool and elbow grease? Are there any chemicals you can use with out hurting the chrome shine? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to the Hamb for all the tech help.

Long live Willys Coupes, Screamin Small Block Chevs., Four Speeds,
    and Pontiac rear ends!

Gary

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

I have used ultra fine "brass wool" ( I am not shure if you can even buy that anymore) after soaking it down good with "P.B. Blaster" penetrating oil,and letting it sit like that for a couple days, and again a lot of elbow grease.

3. Bronze wool from the marine supply, then rub it with crumpled aluminum foil, then a coat of wax.

4. whatever

whatever

yep your going to have to rub it

5. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

I had a set of chrome reverse that were pretty rusted up. I used some Naval Jelly. I was surprised how much rust came off. You just have to brush it on, wait, rinse and repeat a time or two. Then go in for the small stuff with the steel wool.

Strange stuff though. It attracts fly's. ...and wear rubber gloves. :)

DuckusCrapus

6. BJR

BJR

What about vinegar? It works for all the other stuff that we have that rusts.

7. Terraizer

Terraizer

S.O.S. Pads and hot soapy water work really well for removing rust from chrome. You have to work at it though.