Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome to Brass, will it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buick59, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Im currently working on some 60 Cadillac bumpers, I have had to put in new metal in sections where the metal was rotted out. Those sections look great, but, there are many sections where there are pinhole pits on the surface of the bumper.

If I braze these thin spots and pin holes with brass filler and sand them down to uniform height, will a chromer be able to plate over the brass brazing?

Before….You can see a lot of pitting in the metal.[​IMG]

After…….the new patch metal is fine, but there are still sections with pin hole pits, where the metal is thin.

[​IMG]

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I believe Chrome adheres to brass well.

Ago

3. The process is: Copper, nickle, chrome

4. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Chrome loves brass

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Check with your chromer first. Some shops are picky.

7. The radiator shell,headlights and for that matter all of the light housings on my 32 Chevy are brass and the chrome shop did them with no problem. They look great and I have never had any problems with the finish failing in any way .

8. big M

big M

For years, bathroom fixtures were all made of brass and then chrome plated. These old fixtures would last forever without the chrome pitting.

---John

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Whyle it's true that brass can be plated over, there are different kinds of brass;) The kind you've used may discolour in the future under the plating:mad: I don't know of a plater today, that will plate over someone else's repair;)

Grind out all the marginal metal, and replace it with good steel, then metalfinish the part. If you think you're gonna find a cheap plater today, who will build up multi layers of copper, buff to perfection, nickle plate, then chrome over all this, you need to lay off the party favors and get some sleep:D

10. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

What the fuck are you talking about? Who said anything about the stupid shit you just mentioned?

11. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I think this is the best advice.

Case closed.

12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I was gunna say the same thing ;)

Faucets and fixture were made of brass and then chrome-plated up until pretty recent (heck, you can probably still find some made that way- but the majority now are plastic or aluminum to cut costs...).

13. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

I suppose you could use brass, but I think most of the rod you buy for brazing is silicon bronze. I think the best advice is to ask your plater.