Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chrome Steering Column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Jeff, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

I was just curious if anyone is running a chrome steering column in their hotrod? Please post pictures!
    I have a 53 Chevy truck and I need a steering column for it. I found a company that sells them and the chrome one is actually cheaper. I am not really one for chrome, but the price is tempting.
    Just wanted to see some pictures (doesn't have to be of a truck) and hear what other who have a chrome column in their hotrod think of it.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just make sure it not a Chinese manufactured column. Theres been several complete steering failures on these columns due to inside plastic parts failing.

Gary

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For sure make sure the column isn't one from any company associated with the Hoffman group. All they sell is cheap unsafe garbage.
    Helix is one example of one of their many names.
    Stay with quality from someone like Ididit.

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Any chance a piece of stainless tubing from a metal supply company would work? I am lucky to live in Los Angeles where there are a lot of good metal supply places to support the aircraft industry among others.

Charlie Stephens

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. I have a stainless column in my old Deuces sedan but when I install a interior this winter I'm going to remove it and paint it black. HRP

upload_2018-9-25_14-18-50.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As the guys said, when it comes to steering columns what appear to be bargain units are usually of very poor quality internally. A plain non tilt might be ok but there are tons of threads on just about every car enthusiast forum about the cheap tilt units failing.
    That Hoffman group "Helix" junk is constantly getting what appear to be new vendors selling their junk under different names in an effort to mascaraed where it comes from. I even had one that sells on Ebay who joined the Hamb specifically to pm me with a ration of crap when I mentioned that what he was selling was Hoffman group junk.

7. Terrible80

Terrible80

We used to slip a 3' chrome exhaust extension over the stock column.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bct and GuyW like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. squirrel

squirrel

I'd probably go to some effort to use the column from a 54-59 truck (after cutting it off the steering gearbox), and make it look kind of stock. And if it's a show truck kind of truck, getting the tube and TS switch housing chromed, would be a reasonable thing to do.

olscrounger and Moriarity like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^ yup, nothing fits and looks as right as the parts that were engineered specifically for your truck.....

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mines shiny. And staying that way.
    upload_2018-9-25_12-14-18.png

dana barlow likes this.
  12. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Made my own from an old lake pipe an old steering shaft and some bearings from the local hardware store. steering coloum pi for HAMB 001.JPG steering coloum pi for HAMB 002.JPG

Texas Webb and dana barlow like this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

009.JPG Its getting old an a bit less shiny,but after all,like most of my shiny,I didn't chrome it,just polished hell out of it too start with. That started life as a shiny alum umbrala stand in mid picnic table. The blend sleve under steeringwheel is a stainless steel cup . Bushing at top for shaft was made of brass on a leath.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  14. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thanks for the great information and pictures everyone! I will definitely look into the manufacturer of the steering column I saw. My dad always told me if things seem too good to be true, it is because they are. It sounds like the one I saw is probably going to be junk and not worth the money, cheap or not.
    I like the idea of the 54-59 truck columns or maybe the 53-54 car columns since they have the turn signal housing built in.
    Anyone had any luck or experience with the limeworks steering column shifter kits?
    http://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/Safety-Shifter-Kit-p/sskit-indicator.htm
    I was almost hoping to have a column shift to clear up the floor space.

Thanks everyone!
    -Jeff

15. I have never used one but everything I have ever got from them has been top notch and great to deal with.

16. squirrel

squirrel

The 50s columns don't really have the TS switch built in..it was an option, and slips onto the column and clamps in place. There are repop switch assemblies for sale, I don't know how well they are made. The originals often have distorted housings, which don't clamp tightly and don't always switch properly, so beware of used parts--check condition carefully before buying. Also they made two different designs, the early version for flat steering wheels has the lever come straight out, the angled version for 57-59 trucks with the deep dish wheel, the lever is angled towards the steering wheel, and will not work with a flat steering wheel like the older trucks used.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one I posted above is flaming river. I have used their columns in several cars over the years and never had an issue.

18. Not a great pic but the steering column in my 1940 Dodge I made from the top of the Oz Valiant column with a piece of 2&1/2 diameter alloy tubing that fits into the Valiant indicator/bearing block with a sealed bearing at the bottom, the stock mopar collapsible can is used at the top......the alloy tube is polished, gotta make up some covers for the agricultural exhaust clamps, tho' they do the job...............andyd

Attached Files:

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stubby that I had IDIDIT make.
    20170119_200518.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Lime works, Flaming River, Ididit, probably all test out very good & reputable.
    As stated NOS, Stock pulled from salvage will be best engineered & rebuildable or serviceable.
    I don't know how Hoffman group or any other Alias,knock -off Chinese junk can be ever considered for your most important safety items (steering,brakes,seatbelt,suspension)

. . .

21. This is a steering column I took out of a 67 Mustang and had it chromed in 1975 I think. Still shiny but I only did the tubing part, not the turn signal part.

(53)Interior.JPG

Terrible80 and dana barlow like this.