Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Chrome sides" beauty rings?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by screwtheman, Feb 12, 2007.

1. screwtheman

screwtheman

I saw Tuck had some on an oooold thread, they're like extra tall beauty rings that come up the wheel closer to the center almost making the wheel look like a chromie with a painted center. Are these available anywhere? Or are they as elusive and rare as the mini-rings used to be. :mad:

2. screwtheman

screwtheman

Aha! I found a pic...

[​IMG]

3. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Im gonna bump this thread up cuz I too am looking for a pair of these. Had a chance to buy a set at a swap meet for $50, I dont know why I didnt buy them. I dont believe anyone repops these? Anyone got a pair they'd be willing to part with

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think they were sold to make a small stock hubcap appear to be a full size hubcap back in the day. That was when the little stock hubcaps came with the car but the dealer wanted $$ extra to put on Full disk hubcaps so you went down to Western Auto and picked up a set for half of what the dealer wanted for his and made your own full hubcaps. They may have been a dealer installed item too though.

5. If you watch long enough, there probably will be a set on ebay or at a swap meet.
    There were ones sized and shaped for different makes of cars. So a Chevy one probably will not fit on a Ford correctly. There were also white ones used after WW2 to look
    like you had whitewalls. I found a set of those recently from a guy with a bunch of
    old car stuff.

[​IMG]

6. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Pretty tough to find. they're wheel specific. For example the ones on Tucks car and mine are for '49 Ford 16" Wheels. The stock caps are meant to go on top.

[​IMG]

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those are bad ass.

9. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Im digging those DreddyBear

10. carmak

carmak

I must have 5 sets of those. Found them in the shop last month. I'll go out this weekend and measure them.

Carmak

11. 5559

from tn

my pop had a set on a 55 chevy when i was a kid .Seems like he had to run small caps to keep them on

12. I had them on my '49 and they were in the boxes of stuff that went with the car when I sold it. I guess I should've kept 'em, they look cool with spider rings instead of hubcaps.

Dreddy, is that Coop taking a pic of your car?

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yes and I just Noticed Piero in there as well. Fun roundup year!

14. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I still have mine- they survived the fire by chance- I had them on a customer car for rollers when I put it in storage (another building) THANK GOD!

I found mine on EBAY about 14 years ago-
    NOS in the box for 16" 49 ford wheels-

I don't think anyone knew what they were- they're hard to find in nice shape!

Tuck

15. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I have a NOS set of 16" National brand from 1949, they were wrapped in 1949 Parade Magazine pages when I opened the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. If there's any HAMB'r out there with an extra set of 16's they want to sell, I've been trying to scare up a good set for my 55 F100 with OEM 16" truck wheels! PM me...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. I wonder if National C-5090 would fit my 15" Holden rim. I need a set of these.

18. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Swap meet Score! Full set of 15" chrome sides! I believe these are Chrysler... Not as cool as the ones that fully cover the wheel and have a slightly smaller opening, but I dig the look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I have some of these I think off of a 50 dodge.

20. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382740227.033664.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382740249.623355.jpg
    Found mine at the ducktail run swap meet. 25 bucks for 5. Been looking for a good set for a while. I find lots of dinged up ones. Not sure what they are from though. They were 2 different sizes in the center. Only a 1/4" difference.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!