Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods chrome pricing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Apr 4, 2015.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I will probably just use Canada Post. Man, I GOTTA find one more freaking lancer cap! Funny, I started by buying a pair that were really cherry, I kinda figured this would happen when I bought them. I knew it would be hard to fill out a set. I've seen several singles on ebay lately, but they have all been REALLY beat to shit...

2. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi! Thanks for good words! :) First USA chrome project will have 40% discount on chroming :)

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Boy, do I have a project for you... :D . '55 Stude nose, at least one (have 4). Curious about shipping/insuring - out of USA. Gotta figure out how to pay for this... A lot of chrome goodies to be done - & around here, prices are stupid $$$. One local does good work, but *nothing* remotely affordable. So stuff stays undone & ugly. I hate the rr-look... Sudzhis, I'll drop you a PM. I really like the work you've posted. Stuff is better than new.
    Marcus...

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hopefully that can apply to Canada too :) But I'm not sure if I will manage to be the first :)

5. 1950_Buick

1950_Buick

lots of interesting info here...

just curious, as I'm probably a year away from doing it, but thoughts on very rough ball park figures to do all the chrome on my "toothy" 50 Sedanette. For the most part the chrome isn't too bad, was rechromed in early 80's at least the bumpers were done then as near as I can tell so they are in need of some attention, some rust just starting, some pitting a few small dents. The trim is mixed, some looks brand new some has quite a bit of pitting. I'm looking at doing everything, interior and exterior, whatever shines, I want it redone. I'm not going to prep it, just want to drop it off and pick it up. Like I said, just curious on those who are in the know, what I should start budgeting...thanks in advance!

6. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Ohhh, what a nice car. Front so good looking on this car. I can do all chrome, but seems that bumper is in one piece, hard to ship

7. 1950_Buick

1950_Buick

Thanks.

Your pics of your stuff look great. However, like what others have posted, as great as your work is, I'm not going to send it to Latvia. I'm sure it's all ok and everything else to do that, however, well, it's my baby and I wouldn't send it anywhere outside the US, not Europe, not Mexico, not Canada and truth be told, probably would have a hard time sending it outside the state.

It's too bad, as your stuff looks great, it's just if anything went wrong, the parts are too hard and too expensive to come by.

(by the way, the teeth on the bumper come off)

8. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Jup, I understand that it sounds little crazy to send parts to other side of world :D

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, tell us are any parts being sent to you from the US? Or anywhere else?
    Where have you returned finished parts to?

10. Anybody thought of, 'going together', and renting a (20') container sending a large order over to him?

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Buick.....
    I'm with you on this, one might consider sending parts only as far as you'd be willing to drive with cousin Vinnie to collect your stuff.
    FUGGETABOUDIT

12. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

I work with Sweden, Norway, Denmark, but there is little easier because there is not so long distance! Overnight on ship, than few hours in car and there we are!

Do someone know +/- price for potmetal chroming in USA for 10 x 10cm

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  13. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

El Camino 77 rear bumper. Front in progress

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Jaguar interior! Lot of potmetal :)

p.s. sorry about images quality, mine Canon get some error :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Well I am going to be the guinea pig I guess I dropped my windshield frame off at Alberta Plating this afternoon. Not Cheap they quoted me $400 for just the frame we will see how it goes. They had about 100 pieces sitting there to be plated for a Bentley that had been shipped up from somewhere in the U.S. so I am hoping that is a good indication that they have a decent reputation.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cool, let me know how it turns out. Post some pictures. At $400 for a windshield frame the work better be flawless.
    Did they indicate that they would do a true triple show chrome plating including the copper step?
    I talked to Alberta Plating myself in May at their Red Deer swap meet table.
    I showed him some pictures of my parts and was quoted some pretty high prices as well.
    How much turnaround time for your windshield frame ?
    They are in Calgary correct ?

17. I agree it was NOT cheap but he kind of has guys over the barrel and as much as admitted that they can pretty much charge what they like because no one else is doing the work any more. It better look great for that money but the stuff he showed me looked very nice. He said turn around would be 2-3 weeks but did ask if I was in a hurry which I wasn't. To be honest I didn't even ask about whether it was triple plated or not the stuff he showed me looked show quality so I never even thought to ask. Yeah they are in Calgary. I figure by the time I pay for shipping to and from anywhere and take the chance that it gets shipped back and is not up to snuff so I have to reship or eat it it's not going to be that much cheaper in the long run. If it's here and it's not good work when I pick it up I will know before I pay and have some sort of leverage in getting them to redo it. I will let you know.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All valid observations, I can see your logic.
    Shipping could easily eat up any potential savings and then you never know if something will be lost and it's true that there would be little recourse for substandard work.
    I'll look forward to seeing the results.
    I can possibly see myself making a few trips to Calgary this year. :)

19. I have heard good things about them. The only time I heard anything negative was when Alberta was super busy and getting labour was a nightmare. Not such a problem these days.:rolleyes: I am down here all the time for work anyways so it's even less of a hassle for me.

20. @Blue One well so far they have exceeded expectations they called yesterday to say it was done already. I hope to go down next week to pick it up.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's good to hear. I'll be looking forward to seeing the results.

22. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi!
    Old, before world war 2 Mercedes Benz interior! Was in very bad condition!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Mercedes Benz DB 158 rear lights- potmetal, was super hard to make them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Ohh, yess old Chevy bumper parts (if i was remember right, this is some impala bumper parts from potmetal)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Patiently waiting :D
    How did your windshield frame turn out ?
    Should I be taking any of my parts to them ?
    Larry.

26. Jury is still out. I had a friend pick it up for me as I wasn't going to be down for a while and when I got it back one half of the frame was not up to the standard I would expect for the price. The other side looked great and a small handle I had them do looked really good as well so I called them and they were very apologetic and told me to bring it back to have replated. So first impressions not great but we will see how they deal with the issue. I would hope for what they charge they would be a little more particular about what goes out the door but mistakes can happen so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I give them a chance to fix the problem.

Lets put it this way I am glad I hadn't shipped it to the U.S. or some where and had it come back like this. I will let you know.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yikes. I was hoping that it wouldn't go down that way. Hopefully they will get it right and it will be better.
    If you are paying a premium price then the work should also be up to that standard.

28. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

ElCamino front and back bumpers + clicks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Mercedes Pagode full set of chrome..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am still trying to hunt up one more short bar lancer, I have 7 now, so 1 more will make two full sets, then I will look into shipping the flippers to Sudzhis. Depending on how all that goes down, I am willing to be the Canadian guinea pig.