Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome Prep Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Jun 27, 2007.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all..Tim here. I was going to have some parts chromed...some have varying amounts of pitting...Nothing too major. I know the cost of the chrome plating will be lower based on the condition of the parts. The less prep work they have to do, the less it will cost.

That being said, is it a good idea to sand blast the parts? What else should be done? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Tim
    MBL

2. MBL

MBL

I didn't find that one on the search..good info...I guess I will leave it alone and bring the parts to the shop first.
    Tim
    MBL

3. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Tim,

I'm in a very similar situation. I have a '34 Ford grille and a nerf rear bumper that I wanted re-chromed. The guy who is the 'middle-man' for me saw my grille and strongly recommended me let him them to the guy who does his sandblasting.

He said this because not only will the clean grille bumper accept the new chrome better, but it'll be a little less work for the chromer to do regarding clean-up of the grille and bumper. The chomer in question isn't set up to do that heavy of recovery/repair work, so they're liable to charge a premium for it. Most likely, more then the sand blaster. Incidentlly, I just go word that the sandblaster only charged me $30 for the grille AND bumper, total! I'll bet the chromer would have charged more.

I should be getting the grille and bumper back in a week or so, then I can tell you whether it was worth it or not. My guess is that the 30 bucks was well spent.

Vance