Register now to get rid of these ads!

chrome polishers/antifreeze spots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clubcoupe37, May 11, 2010.

1. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

my car was running a little hot and found that my radiator was leaking. well...it spewed antifreeze all over the chrome,I have used some products over the years for chrome...but these spots wont budge...any idea what I could use?? thx

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

3. paintcan54

paintcan54

Thanks, Denise as I have the same problem with the wife's truck. I'll give it a try.

4. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I've never heard of antifreeze staining chrome before, but if some chemical in it were able to etch the chromium itself, that's not good. The decorative chrome plating on your car is extemely thin and can be rubbed through with abrasive compuond by hand if you aren't careful. I would try anything non-abrasive and safe for chrome first. No acids.

Any pics? I am genuinely curious.

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I agree with cp-josh. Are you sure it isn't just stained wax? Glycol won't stain chrome.

7. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Wenol, the blue tube.

8. Ob1

Ob1

Guessing silicates in the antifreeze recrystalized on the chrome, made more effective by the heat of the fluid.

Might be worth trying the same antifreeze to remove the stain? Try it on an unobtrusive area of the stain...