Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome polish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Sep 19, 2007.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I got some old valve covers and an air cleaner that need some attention. Anyone got a formula for some good home brewed or store bought polish? Thanks,

2. rustrustler

rustrustler

I don't have any particular polish as a favorite, however I do like to use 0000 steel wool as an applicator. good luck, Mike.

3. pitman

pitman

Used Brasso w/some success. It isn't abrasive BTW.

4. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I like Simichrome works great on aluminum as well.

5. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I like simichrome and I've asked this question previously, Muther's was the most popular then.

6. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Try a product called No.7 Chrome & Metal Polish it used to be made by Dupount but now dist. by Cyclo Industries pretty good stuff not as good as the orginal formula but better than most out there .
    my .02

7. I use the polish I bought from our very own "polisher" and liked it a lot. He has one formulation for heat that works well.

Steve's an alliance vendor, also offers a HAMB discount, an online "how to" booklet, and great service!

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

Polisher hasn't posted in about five months.

Wonder if everything is OK?

Rich

9. Larry T

Larry T

I like the old DuPont Heavy Duty Chrome Polish (looks and works amazingly like the bottle and polish that TurtleWax sells now). It'll take light rust off and not scratch the chrome.
    I think Semi Chrome is great fot aluminum, but seems to dull chrome a little.

10. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

I was just thinking the same thing....

11. Yeah, he usually chimes in on these posts to set everyone straight.

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Use to use Mothers but now I use all Adams products.

13. I sometimes use the Mothers Mag Wheel Cleaner/Polish in the small jar.
    Not the best for everything, but it will do some pretty good cleaning. May take several applications.....acts kind of like brasso, you get a rag full of black each time, but the item keeps getting more shiny. Have found that you can take a dull grey metal item, and with enough applications of Mothers, that thing will look just like chrome. For example, I did the hood latch, those metal clamps attached to the firewall where lines and wires
    come thru, and the piece that holds the coil...the loop around it. The spark plug wire loom below the coil is covered by chrome tape. Link to view.

[​IMG]

14. raceratrod

raceratrod

Back in the 60's and 70's we used Lacquer thinner and rubbing compound on a soft rag .The thinner helped the compound to cut the heavy grime. Then finish with a clean cloth.

15. 38pickup

38pickup

I have used wizzards, with some good results.

16. Brasso or Blue Magic. Either works great. I think brasso leaves som protection afterward as well.

17. DrJ

DrJ

Polisher would tell you something like; anything harsher than distilled water will remove some of the very thin chrome layer (mere microns) and don't use anything called "polish" because they are all "liquid sandpaper" and speed up the destruction of your chrome.

18. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

The stuff in the tub that is bright blue. May be called Blue Magic as mentioned above. Stinks to high heaven but brought back the shine on the 50s vintage headlights on the '32.
    I really like to polish chrome, send them over! : )

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Mothers or Blue Magic for me, Meguiers stuff is good too.

20. Stinks like vinegar cut with skiunk piss. If that is the aroma, you are describing Blue magic.

21. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

All that stuff is crap. Polisher's is the real deal.

In his booklet, he explains that you need polish that's targeted to whatever material you intend to polish. What works best on aluminum won't work best on chrome, and vice-versa. Or stainless, or brass, or copper, nickle, or whatever.

Some of the more agressive polishes contain ammonia and anhydrous solvents that are not good for your shiney stuff over the long haul.

Buy your polish from http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/ like Ken said.

22. If the condition is such that you are tempted to use 0000 steel wool, don't. A better choice would be bronze wool, available at boat supply houses.

23. NEVR DUL

AVAILABLE AT GROCERY STORES AND SOME AUTOPART STORES. Learned about it in the AIr Force, military issue.

24. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I was doing this last night using Never Dull.

25. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

MEGUIARS MAG AND ALUMINUM POLISH

GREAT ON CHROME AND ALL METALS!!!!

I work for Meguiars, haha.

It really is great stuff though.