Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chrome or powder coat - paint ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Chrome work is very expensive. For example, I had the single roll bar hoop on my 27 redone a few years ago and it was $300. For my altered project, I think I am going to have the suspension powder coated in a contrasting color instead of plating it.

Don

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Had my front axle jet-hot coated...was about $100 34axlecoatedone.JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Chrome is the way to go, but at today's $$$, other options suggested here are some of the alternatives available. Again IMO, The style or look are you going for weighs in on your options.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

You need tobe carefull about telling some,its better not to say anything to anyone you don't know real well about how they act,the're those guys that will hate you an your car for fooling them in there little mind,an first thing they tell every one they see is how "Oh that car only looks like its got chrome but it's all fake shit{ cuz they somehow feel afended by being fooled by it vs thinking how cool that that guy saved a lot of $ he didn't have an looks good as hell an never say anytghing about that other then what a great looking car.....

5. I wouldn't tell it if Floyd didn't tell people himself. It apparently didn't bother Starbird either. The car was featured in his show this past season.

1927graham likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You can thank the tree huggers for that.
    I will say the EPA has stopped the bozos from dumping their waste in the creek.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Consider electroless nickel, it's pretty reasonably priced compared to chrome plating.
    Nickel Plating.jpg

dana barlow and blowby like this.
  8. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Chrome is the only way to go on your front and rear wishbones. Chrome is traditional and looks far better than paint or powder coating ever could. I am from Ontario and we have been using a chrome shop in Mississauga (Toronto) that does an excellent job at very fair prices. I just got back the chrome plating on my 1960's dragster and everything is nicely done. You can save yourself a lot of money if you can polish some of the parts yourself. This is what I did and my chrome plating bill was very inexpensive.

9. Of course it's off shore,
    To get that bumper chromed, a brand new piece, (not re-chrome an old one) I was quoted $400.00. That's 10x.

Interesting ,
    I just spoke to a plater who does electroless nickel. He said getting parts done is just 1 step and 1 min dip short of chrome. That 1 step keeps the nickel from tarnishing and gives a slight tint. He also said a lot of shops use electroless process for their deposit of nickel. This plater specializes in military and aero space but will do custom hot rod parts for a select few individuals, no re chroming. He also said the cost MAY be a little cheaper but 95% of the work, time and material is still there. His opinion was for 5% more save the tarnish polishing.

10. It's a tough coating that is cleaned / polished with Mother's and 0000 steel wool. This site won't allow me to post the pics, they are too large for the server to handle, send your email address and I'll get the them to you. [email protected]

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Vicky--
    My decision to use nickel instead of chrome was directed more towards the style of car I'm building than the $$$$$. I specifically wanted it to be "not so showy" and have more of a competition look.
    I got a fair amount of inspiration for my car from Bob Morris' "Double Nickel" 32 roadster;
    (see Rod and Custom magazine April 1993). I'm aware some people may call this a show car.
    I do agree that when chrome is called for there is just no replacement for it.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, just sent you an e-mail. :)

1927graham likes this.
  13. brad2v

brad2v

Larry, I've used Alberta Plating here in Calgary, they did all of the stuff on our Pontiac, for only the price of a decent used car :eek:. However, it was all pretty rough, I have had other stuff done there that was far less but I had polished the parts already. AS has been mentioned doing this will save you a bunch of dough. Or, how 'bout white?

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D I have been thinking of trying Fairmont with a couple of smaller parts first , I can do a lot of the initial polishing and smoothing myself so that should help a lot.
    As much as I weigh the options of paint etc., I really like chrome. :)
    I like a tasteful amount of chrome offset by painted pieces however and I don't care for the look of everything chromed.
    I had a friend who was addicted to chrome and would chrome everything that he could unbolt.
    I think chrome can be overdone but that in the right amount it's hard to beat.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. You are right Larry, using chrome sparingly is always cool,but too much can definitely be gaudy! HRP

16. Oh I like the look, just though the pricing difference was interesting.
    In my neck of the woods the price difference is almost a non existent, also in my neck of the woods I can get a frame sandblasted for $75.00. Maybe it's regional?

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Could be
    I'm sure local environmental code requirements/costs play a role.
    In my case; the cost for everything shown for my car came to $250.00
    Everything was new clean metal that I hand brushed first with Scotchbrite, as I wanted
    more of a satin finish.

18. Holy crap that's cheap !

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is cheap, I can't see many places doing all that for that cheap a cost.

dana barlow likes this.

20. Thought of 2 questions -
    1, what's the name of the plater, because shipping stuff could be a very doable thing.

2 how much more for that 1 last minimal step of 1 min dip in the chrome tank

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This process is called electroless nickel (I have also heard it called "Watts" nickel) and cost may have a lot to do with the lack of having to (correctly) dispose of the leftovers from stripping and plating (chromium). I'll be the first to admit that this process is probably not going to hold up as well as actual electrical plating and I have been advised that giving these parts a coat of wax will keep the tarnishing to a minimum.
    I'm sure the electroless nickel process has it's own recycling circumstances to deal with.
    Keep in mind that I know next to nothing about either of these processes, so I will leave it at that and let the industry pros debate it.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just watched a 30 + minute instructional - training video on setting up a home electroplating station.
    Caswell sells a complete kit with everything you need to do your own triple chrome plating (copper, nickel and chrome) of small parts.
    Quite a science to it.
    I don't think it's something I want to get into doing myself.
    From the results they showed from customers it appeared that a lot of the guys using the system did so for motorcycle parts.
    I still think I'll get the shop to do it :)

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Kinda smacks of the guy at the county fair welding pop cans.

24. I agree I am all for do it yourself but I think sometimes do it yourself starts to become a diminished returns situation and is more trouble than it is worth. I might take my windshield frame in to see what it would cost just to get an idea on how many pop cans I am going to have to save.:D

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

TFC Plating Portland Or.
    I failed to say in earlier posts; that I don't believe they do conventional (chrome) work.

26. slammed

slammed

Your over all theme or era of the build will help decide. Hardcore old time will dictate chrome. The more of a modernized flair or styling will allow the various powered coatings to blend in without clashing.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My build theme is old time, not necessarily hardcore but I do envision some chrome.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that I will soon start unbolting a few smaller parts and taking them in to "feel the waters" :D
    I'll do a little at a time, see what kind of work they can do and spread out the financial shock a little over time.:)

29. There was a fella on here about to start plating small parts at reasonable rates. All of the prep and polishing would be your responsibility. Worth a look and PM

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I think that might be the same guy that's since give up the business and failed to return some folks parts. There's a thread on here about it, check that before you send anything. I was glad to see it, as I was planning on sending in a bunch of smalls to get chromed.