Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome Molly Rings.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57wagon, Jun 14, 2004.

1. 57wagon

57wagon

I've got a quick question,,,, I just rebuilt a chevy 350 engine and had the chrome molly piston rings installed,,, I was told by a few people that these rings take a while to "seat" and that some oil smoke is normal until the breakin period is done.

It dosen's smoke at all after the intial startup so it would seem that all is well. I would say that I have about 500 or so miles on it so far.

Anyone have any other experience with these? About how long should I expect to have until I dont get that cool blue smoke when I start it.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. 57wagon

57wagon

BTT,,,,

help [​IMG]

3. The honing pattern,and finish,is critical with those rings.
    It needs to be VERY smooth,or they won't breakin.

4. 57wagon

57wagon

The block was professionally machined by an excellent machine shop near my home, I did assemble the motor, ( could be the problem ) [​IMG]

I had heard anywhere from 500 to 1500 miles before it would stop smokin...

5. FWilliams

FWilliams

are they chrome rings or moly rings

moly with a properly finished cylinder wall will seat very quickly, usually by the time a cam is broke in on a new motor they are seated

cast rings will take a while, i like to run the vehicle up to about 20-25 in low and let off ,the back pressure forces the ring out against the wall and helps them seat

chrome rings are a diffeent animal, they are used in situations where you are going to ingest a lot of dirt, work trucks , sprint car motors etc, they also take a special finsh on the wall

6. [ QUOTE ]
    About how long should I expect to have until I dont get that cool blue smoke when I start it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke at start up can also be valve seals.
    You didn't use those Teflon racing seals did you ?
    The cheap rubber seals actually work better on the street.

7. 57wagon

57wagon

I bought a kit, with molly rings, and brought everything over to the machine shop when I had the motor work done. They had balanced the new crank rods and pistons and then gave me back the whole thing. I haven't gone through an engine to this extent before and kind of wanted the experience.

The heads were also gone through at the same time. I don't notice any smoke at all except for when the car is first started, even then it only lasts a few seconds, kind of like some oil gets past the rings, or somewhere when the motor is shut off hot.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

What Brand and Part number of rings and pistons did you get?

9. 57wagon

57wagon

I can't remember the kit # but I got it through the PAW cataloge. I am driving it from Kenosha to Indy in two weeks, so that will definatley put me over the 1500 mile mark...

Hopefully that will help, otherwise looks like it will be taken down again this winter.