Register now to get rid of these ads!

chrome headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag63, Aug 8, 2010.

1. dirtbag63

dirtbag63

Sorry I haven't been on for awhile. Life getting in the way you know! Doe's anyone know how to get the "blueing" off of Chrome Headers? I'm not looking for perfection just cleaning up a used set a little. I've tried "Blue Job" from the local Harley shop and it claims it's the best in the world! All it did was shine the blue up! I'm building a SBC old school style for my girl's 54 Belair. Thanks

2. Can't be done other than shining them up as you already found out. The "blueing" is all the way through the chrome. Replacing them every so often when they get really bad is the only option.

Pat Ganahl had an article in Hot Rod Deluxe several years back about keeping new headers from turning blue..or at least delaying the blueing. He had the insides of his coated with Jet Hot.

I have seen pics of his car recently and his chrome headers are just as blue.

3. unless you own a trailer queen get used to it. I think it makes them look better

4. dirtbag63

dirtbag63

Thats what I thought, It's kool . the car is a really clean daily driver, and I mean daily! My girl puts 50 mi. a day four days a week rain or shine so I guess a little blue isnt gonna hurt. Thanks