Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome for your dome.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sidsullivan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. sidsullivan

sidsullivan
    from Boise, Id

I was curious if anyone knew where to get chrome tape. It was a neat trick back in the day to put it on the roof. Prime examples are Larry Watsons 59 caddy, and also his brougham (along the side panels). He told me that you can still get it when I asked about it during a tour of the museum, but I cant seem to find the right stuff. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. JC Whitney, maybe?

3. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Go to your friendly vinyl sign maker. They can cut sheet to your specifications.

4. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

yeah i'm a sign maker and any sign shop should have it i do !

5. thesupersized

thesupersized

check ebay...i see some NOS chrome tape on there sometimes.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Old tape? I don't think I'd be putting that on my car.

Go get some new stuff cut at your local signmakers. Maybe they'd even be able to cut a pattern if that's what you'd want.

7. In KC mid town at the autozone is where you would look. It is popular with the ghetto cruiser crowd for looks and to cover up rusted out rocker panels.

Not to say it is a ghetto thing that you are thinking about just to give you a reference for a place to look.

8. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

ghetto! no mater what!

9. Racewriter

Racewriter

Just Google "chrome mylar." You'll find a lot of suppliers on the Web.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm stoked for people to start using this shit again on the roofs. It's an awesome treatment that I haven't seen used on new builds but I am dying to see it in person.

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Not saying it'll work well without a trial,but there's HVAC/duct tape that's nice and shiny that might work for a short time? Maybe for display purposes? I'd imagine the UV rays would kill it?

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have a roll of this stuff for making vinyl signs, the stuff I have resembles a foil more than vinyl, (I think it is a foil).

It is a bitch to lay out smoothly without trapping air bubbles when applied over large areas, harder than vinyl, and it tends to oxidize out kind of quickly, might do better with a clear on top though.

LINK;
    http://www.signsplusbanners.com/ite...t+Vinyl&s=15"+Oracal+352+Mirror+Finish+Silver

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011