Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrome and powder coat needed in SFV/LA

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jun 22, 2020.

1. I finished chopping the iron tops for my '30 and now I need someone to chrome and powder coat them. I am looking for someone preferably in the San Fernando Valley/Los Angeles area but will consider shipping them if needed.

The main, circled, bar needs to be chrome and the rest needs to be powder coated tan, RAL 1002
    As for size, the bar that needs to be chrome it is about 15" x1"x1/4".
    There is a right and is a right and a left one.

The catch, the frame can't be taken apart. The rivets are not being reproduced so If I drill them out I am not able to get them back together.
    The frames are sandblasted and 100 grit sanded.

Let me know if you can help.

thumbnail_IMG_5997 (1).jpg thumbnail_IMG_5995 (1).jpg

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I see you skill level, any chance you could make them from stainless ?
    i am not a stainless "worker"...

3. You mean making the rivets from stainless steel?
    Well, the rivet has a truss head and it is 9/32 x 1". Someone told me the the door pins on a '32 were 9/32. I would have to smooth out the knurl and cut to size.
    Haven't tried it yet but that would be my last option. Never installed rivets before so I am not sure how difficult that is or what tools I would need.

4. You can buy 5/16 x 1" stainless rivets from McMaster-Carr, these would be 1/32" oversize. I don't think you'll be happy with the job you'll get if done while assembled...

vtx1800 likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see being able to polish and plate on the outside of that bar but inside is not going to look very nice in my opinion as it is darn near impossible to get into that area at the rear of the frame.
    I picked these up this morning from my plater here in Vancouver, WA. He does nice work. If it can be done call Troy @ Pacific Plating
    upload_2020-6-22_20-1-8.png

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

sorry, I meant the [2] strips you want chromed, out of stainless...…
    I believe "electroless knickle" will plate negative/ concave areas... $$$
    we plated some of the parts we made... but have been retired for 20 yrs, could be wrong...

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Compared to all the issues you will have plating and painting an assy like that, to machine some new rivets out of dumb metal is a piece of cake

8. Found a company willing to do it a very fair price. They will be doing the chrome and powder coating at the same time.
    They warned me that the back of the main bars might not be fully polished due to access....I will be happy with a nice driver appearance.
    Dropped them off today and should get them back in a week...we shall see.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Care to share who you are using?

10. Sure,

Astro Plating
    8136 Lankershim Blvd,
    North Hollywood, CA 91605
    818-768-6535
    Jesse provided really good customer service

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Good to know of someone in SoCal. My avatar will never need any chrome work but down the road my '54 Ranch Wagon will. Do you know if they do the plating on site or send it out?

12. They do on site. Apparently they have been at it for a long time and provide good service.
    I sent pictures via email and was given a price, once I got there and parts were inspected they lowered the quoted price...something you don't see very often and made me feel very comfortable.

Here is their website
    http://astroplating.com

I post finish pictures when I get the pieces back.

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Riverside
    B&B Powder Coating
    951-681-7894

14. I finally picked up my top frames last Friday. They were 3 weeks late.
    I had gone the previous week but the powder coating had to be redone as it was scratched really bad....good thing that I am in no rush...
    I am ok with the final outcome and for $200 I think I got an ok job. They will do for my build....for others, well, you be the judge...

Keep in mind, I had never had anything powder coated or chromed before, and as I understand these frames are a bit tricky to do since they can not be taken apart.

thumbnail_IMG_6234.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6235.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6240.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6241.jpg
    All the joints to the chrome were over spayed with powder coat.

thumbnail_IMG_6236.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6237.jpg
    Most rivets were not fully covered with powder coating. Not peeling but not covered.
    Good thing, the top material will cover all this

thumbnail_IMG_6238.jpg
    It appears it was sprayed in one position and some areas were missed, where the main bar overlap.

thumbnail_IMG_6242.jpg
    Two bubbles in one of the chrome bars.

When I asked about the issues above, I was told,
    Take some paint remover and carefully apply it to the over sprayed areas to clean the chrome.
    For the areas where the powder coating wasn't applied all the way, go to the paint store and buy matching paint and touch it up.
    The bubbles where solid enough where they won't pop. They go behind the wood frame so they will never be seen.

After some elbow grease, they look very nice. I still need to touch up the powder coating but I might wait as might change the color of it. This time I will spray it.

I am yet to pay for them. They still have my rear window and shifter that they are chroming.

thumbnail_IMG_6232.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6233.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6243.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6244.jpg

Attached Files:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is impressive they did that well considering the pieces were attached.

16. Fogger

Fogger

Very difficult job to chrome and then powder coat. If you're happy with the results that's all that matters. I've dealt with Astro Plating for many years and they do an acceptable job.

17. I picked up the rear window and shifter today. Very satisfied with the outcome. Sure looks nice.

thumbnail_IMG_6258.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6259.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6260.jpg

CudaChick1968 likes this.