Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Christmas List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 1, 2016.

1. I have many ideas, but I cannot remember them 5 minutes after I hatch the idea. :confused:

2. I know the feeling .... does that mean we're bad HAMBERS ?

3. :DWell I would like another project, a bigger workshop, a new pair of coveralls,
    I promise I have been really good, and I have already emailed my list to the man in red.
    WAIT ......... I think he might be making an early start,

Yes

image.jpg

No, I really need nothing but good health and happiness.:D
    also 36 years of marital bliss on the 29th December
    So,
    a wallet full of cash.:rolleyes::D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  4. Health....been off my blood meds for a few days...going in tomorrow for surgery....hope to post some more latter.....

5. toml24

toml24

I would like to get a phone call. The voice on the other end says "Remember all those nostalgia racing photos of the California Jalopy Association you wanted so bad? Well------come and get them. Take them all. It's best the collection will be with someone who will take care of and preserve the collection." I would feel like a kid in a candy store!

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

My wife owns 2 Subaru Service Centers and each November we offer free oil changes for a full bag of groceries for our local food bank. Then in December we offer free oil changes for a new unwrapped toys also for our local food bank.
    It seems that Christmas has become a over blown spend spend spend program. A few years ago my wife and I decided to stop the over indulging of our grandkids and family. Each December 1st we start saving all of our change. We keep it in a large glass jar so we can see it grow over the coming year.

Then around the middle of November we count it up and then divide it equally between the 2 grandkids and our daughter and son in law. Then my wife and I go out and find the most interesting and unique gift for each one, not adding any additional money.

We don't over spend and we don't go in debt. It works for us.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

7. Brenda & I have talked and dreamed about a vintage camper for many years and a couple of years ago I bought a project and started restoring it,then back in February I had a accident and crushed my shoulder and work stopped.

I'm doing OK now but have limited mobility and may not regain full range of motion,I'm thankful I'm doing as well as I am but still not able to do a lot of the work on the camper.

I decided time doesn't wait for anyone so I decided to dig into the hot rod account and buy her a usable camper and it has some hot rod cool touches ~ HRP

8. Lil32

Lil32

each year we pay for our trip to LARS and spend a month in USA
    This year we are heading up to Oregon before LARS

9. my bday is on the 8th so I told my wife that I would like to have the radiator done for my car for the both of them.

[​IMG]

10. 008.JPG Getting my 56 Chrysler titled and front brake shoes for it Hopefully I can do it with my next check.LOL.Bruce.

11. OK just to enter into the spirit of this thing. If I could make a Christmas wish list I would like the patch panels for my A bone. That is actually a little extreme as I need the lower 10"for both sides. But hey its go big or go home, right? :D

12. To me, health is key right now after the heart attack, a humbling experience and puts everything else in perspective.

I was a poor kid and I never liked Christmas. Everything we got was something we needed and little of what we wanted. Often toys were shared between 4 of us. I still recall the tag "share toy" on a wrapped box. Other kids around got cool stuff like bikes or trains. We got socks and pajamas. I also never liked getting a gift, unless I could give something in return.

Then there was the post-Christmas let down. Days of a big commotion... then it was over. We ate well for that week, my mom always made a Czechoslovakian bread that was good.

Even now, I'm not big on it, way too commercialized for my liking. After my wife died, I could care less about putting up the tree and decorating the house. But I'll help my kids with it (they're 24 and 28). I'm not hosting dinner for the 1st time in 27 years, just too much to do in my condition and some key people will be out of town.

13. LOL My big sister and I always got Christmas Jammies, it was the package that we were allowed to open on Christmas Eve. That was a big deal. We still practice the Christmas Eve opening of the jammies. Now that my sis is a widow it has become our tradition. The wife and I even if we don't get a thing always send flannel jammies to my big sister. She always calls when she is opening them.

Before my dad went off in search of greener pastures there was always something under the tree for everyone. It was seldom trendy, and sometimes it was made. When I was about 6 or 7 my present consisted of some used tools, pliers, cresecent wrench screw drivers etc. And a note, "Wolfe, I love you, these are your tools. Now leave my tools the hell alone." My sis still has the note, I still have one of the pliers.

The other big deal was the stockings, they always had fruit and nuts and hard candy in them. My sis always snuck some sort of a little toy in mine. A Yo-Yo and Top are the ones than I remember the most, they were carved from wood, I suspect my granddad helped with them..

Good gobbly goop, a visit from the ghost of Christmas past. bah-humbug1.jpg

14. Beano,the stocking was a big deal,we had apples throughout the year,but the oranges,tangerines, peppermint candy and the pecans,walnuts and Brazil nuts.

Usually there was a package of sparklers and some Black Cat firecrackers. HRP

15. IMG_1480689431.886563.jpg

Really, like most here, my hope would be that my children have long, happy and healthy lives. Whatever happens to me me is just fine.

But if Santa can figure out how to get a Jetaway pan gasket to seal, he needs to get his fat ass under my car because I can't seem to get it....

16. Candy ribbons were the big thing in our stockings and the nuts. One year I got paper shell pecans, I have been useless ever since. They seem to go high any place but the south and I still consider them to be a real treat.

17. Well if you would consider a skinny Santa I haven't been to Boston in a while. :D

18. The last few years I find myself thinking about how Christmas was when my sister and I were kids. It was like magical, and all the great times we had with our cousins at grandmas house every Christmas eve. Five generations together at the same time. It has been a tough year, and all the matters to me, is spending time with my parents, sister and some close friends, thats the family I have left,and that is what is important to me.

19. That would be an honor! You stop my tranny pan from leaking and we will do some woodworkin', we'll make you a Ribbon Mahogany dash or turn an ebony gearshift knob on the lathe.... IMG_1480698735.970594.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  20. We were kinda poor growing up too. I always remember my dad having to go out and cut down a cedar pine tree instead of buying a real blue spruce tree. Later when we got a little older and my dad started working at Bell Labs{now A.T.&T}and making more $$$ we got better presidents and my mom and dad would each exchange a brown bag to each other at christmas. My mom would give my dad a bottle of 4 Roses and my dad would give her a bottle of gin. lol. Bruce.

21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Stainless Turndowns for my beastly modular lake pipe project on my T.
    [​IMG]

22. Bruce,your dad was uptown,we never had a ceder although they were common here and they were what most people used,never even saw a blue spruce or any store bought tree until I was a teenager.

My dad always went out in the woods and found a long needle pine because that's what he remembered from his childhood. HRP

23. wrljet

wrljet

Santa brought me a Sears floor jack when I was 15 or 16.
    The best Christmas present I've ever had, and I'm still using it 42 years later.

-Bill

24. Bill, I am still using my heavy duty jack stands and Mac battery charger from the 70s .My MAC impact gun finally bit the dust but I cant bear to throw it out. I keep it in the bottom of my tool box. Does that make me a Horder??? LOL.Bruce.

25. H.R.P. your a lot like me with my bad ankles. .We just have to work a little slower and it just takes us a little longer now. Bruce.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. H.R.P.when Sears came out with their 1st fake Christmas tree my dad got it.Man it was the ugliest thing but, looked good once all the stuff and tinzle was on it. He was so proud of this buck{right around Christmas} he shot right across from our house when we lived way out in the sticks.We used to put red on its nose at christmas.LOL.Bruce. img649.jpg

Attached Files:

27. Trees... my dad always went out on Xmas eve to get a tree. People would stop over just to see how BAD the tree was from year to year. I came across pictures from 1958 and the tree was hideous back then. After 1974 me and my brother bought nice trees for the house.

Family tradition was pizza and heroes from a local place on Xmas eve. In our house we do Chinese food, except the MSG got me last year and I crashed early... with still too much to do!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. img650.jpg
    Here was mom too.Bruce.

29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Bruce, we were always empty of cash when I was growing up too..., we lived in the mountains of Oregon, and tree's were right out the front door. We'd make popcorn strings for the tree...and mom would bring out the tablet paper, and we'd all draw designs and angels, and cut em' out with scissors...hang them on the tree....and we'd spend a week before Christmas to hunt for unique tree twigs to glue and tie with string for the 'special' decorations on the tree.

We got a lot of 2nd hand store hand-me-downs....maybe a pair of gym shoes in the bargain bins. But I tell ya, it was wonderful....I miss those times, and how simple it was....we didn't have much money, but we had a fortune in laughing and singing to the radio....and a nice 'chicken' dinner (couldn't afford a turkey or ham)....apples, oranges, marshmellows, and flavored popcorn in our stockings....and a harmonica if I was ''real good''------- (My mom, Grandmother, and me anticipating popcorn!!!) 2016-03-28 15.38.32.jpg

I don't have any family left anymore...all have passed on....My wife & I have never been able to have children, so it definitely feels strange these days, but my wife and I 'reach out' and try to touch other people's lives....keeping things simple and bring cheer any way we can to others....Christmas makes me smile, and the memories are worth their weight in gold now! ---------that's me waiting for my Christmas chicken dinner plate c. 1961 2016-03-28 15.45.31.jpg

30. After this year all I want is good health for me and my bride. The older you get the more important it becomes. I am looking at a couple of five windows however.:rolleyes:

kiwijeff, The37Kid, bobss396 and 3 others like this.