Register now to get rid of these ads!

Christine is up on the block.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LORYDER, Oct 6, 2006.

1. LORYDER

LORYDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

what a joke! look at the 2bbls adapted to the 4x2 intake... if i was gonna pay 90 grand for that id want the freakin original 4 barrels from the factory on the damn thing!

3. Murphbar

Murphbar

I've seen the car at the Volo Auto Museum. Its neat, but even if I sold everything I own and lived in it, I'd still be way short. I guess I'll build my own some day.

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

hahaha.... 2x2 setups are ol skool. lol

5. rocketrider

rocketrider
    from Moline, IL

Yhey filmed part of this out where I used to live (Valencia CA). I remember the news talking about the film crew blowing up the gas station.

Some time shortly after the movie, I was rolling down the road and I saw one of the movie cars pass me by, it had a couple guys in it, and I could see the driver pointing out filming areas to the passenger.

Still a nice looking car

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Did you know this junkyard?

http://www.forwardlook.net/features/billandeds.htm

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Cripes - it hurts to watch the movie, and hurts even more to see that junkyard full of beat Plymouths. Damn. She's beautiful, but I'd rather polish my own turd than drop the bills that ebay auction is asking for.

8. That junkyard is too cool. That was one of my favorite movies as a kid, just because of the cars.

9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

That movie tore up alot of cars, but it's still one of my all time favorites.

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I read that weenies writeup a few months back, what a joker. Didnt know if one complete car could have been built from what was left. The one car needed a door, I guess they sent that one to the crusher. He and his dad walked past a 350 dual quad motor, let that stay there. What a weenie. Hope someone competant got into that yard before it was crushed out.

11. Scotch

Scotch

Don't worry - that yard is local legend. I was one of the many who'd stroll through and find good stuff on the cheap. I know there were many others. I got a std. bore 440 HP bare block there for $60, and a complete 8.75 housing for like $50. Lots of clean rustfree sheetmetal at fair prices. Bill & Eds rules if you're into Mopars. It's the only all-Mopar junkyard I've ever been to, and the folks running it are really cool. Most junkyard owners are pretty prickly. Definitely worth the trip if you're a Mopar guy in SoCal.

~Scotch~

12. rocketrider

rocketrider
    from Moline, IL

Gotgas,

Ya Iv'e seen that sight before, thenks for the link, I have never been to the junkyard.

The 3-4 scenes that I remember, that were shot out in Valencia were, where Buddy and his friend come out of the store in the night, and drive up the street (Lyons Avenue), the garage explosion scene, corner of McBean Parkway and Valencia Blvd. (now condos), and where the burning Christine runs over Buddy (that was shot down a 2 lane road that connected Valencia Blvd to Magic Mountain Parkway, Valencia Towncenter Mall covers that now)

13. Plowboy

Plowboy

I think that it would have been pretty cool to buy the "rubber" car. I wonder what happened to it?

14. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Those are still one of my favorite cars. There was a convertible just like it for sale around here a couple years ago....should have bought it but I would have had to add on to the garage lengthwise to make it fit!

Bill

15. dv8

dv8

Dude....I wouldn't buy that car.....It will kill the SHIT out of you.

16. gear27

gear27

One of my favorite movies of all time?
    But the sacrificed too much vintage steel!!

Gear27

17. Bugman

Bugman

If they hadn't, the Mopars of the era wouldn't be nearly as populat as they are today. Even non-mopars would be affected. How many people got into old cars because of that movie? So they crushed 17 cars to make a movie. so what. How many more have been saved from the crusher because of it? dozens? hundreds? maybe even thousands?

18. Nice thread, I must be a total car nut to be up at 4 ayem reading about some fictional movie car. This is and always will be one of my favorite car movies for more than one reason. I had my '69 Nova Vandalized, parked across the street from my house, back in high school days. To see those punks get theri just deeserts made me wish I could find out whom fucked up my car. All my new tires where slashed and my new Holley 750 stolen. In the morning when I found out I sat down and cried then started running, I think I ran about 5 miles that morning.

On a lighter note, a buddy from college and his dad had/have a massive Chrylser collection. 27's, 32's, 33's, 41's , 440 Challengers, and 2 white 57 Fury's. I spoke with him last year and his dad, now much older, finally decided to let those two cars go. The old man worked at the proving grounds, in Chelsea, forever and told me these cars where terrible even when new. Frickin front fenders where made with junk steel and would rust within 2 yrs in a salty northern climate. Skinny tires required only 27 psi to help achieve the stated soft ride.

Despite all this bullshit, it is one hell of a beautiful design. Beats the hell out of any '57 Chevy or Ford (personal opinion) I believe the designer was Virgil Exner. Damn things still give me goosebumps when i watch the movie. Thanks for the post.
    JT

19. BTW, according to my Chronicle of the American Automobile, by James Flammang, production figures for the '57 Fury hardtop was just 7, 438 units retailing for $2925, Came with 290 Hp 318 v-8. Looks like more WHERE built in "58" but still a very rare car. 18,194 Belvedere Sport Sedans, 19,500 Savoy Sport coupes.....and a whopping 67,993 six cylinder more door Savoys.
    ...all this compared to 1.5 million Chevys and 1.6 million Fords.
    Time to crash...zzzzzzzzzzzz
    JT

20. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

unless you treated her right. For the price it must be the one that fixes herself, good bonus if you got in a wreck....no need for insurance....not that anyone would want to get near you in that car. Camaro owners are shaking in their boots as we speak.....:D one evil lady in red....

21. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

The only poster in my buddies garage is the movie poster from Christine. He's a FoMoCo guy but loves the thought of that car killing! I thinks he hopes it rubs off on his baby Lincloln...

22. Heck, I could have had two '58 hardtops in rough shape for $750 a while back. May still be able to get one of them, but it's whipped. But you can clone these for a lot less than the real car would cost. The wings on the bumpers and the side trim are the money parts. I guess even when the movie was made, they couldn't find sport-tone, so they made inserts themselves.