Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chris Lang - Malco Gasser ? 'Vette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klleetrucking, Nov 22, 2007.

1. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

Does anyone remember Chris Lang's (I think thats how it's spelled) 'Vette? He ran a '55 Chevy wagon then built an early '60's 'Vette that ,I think, it ran D/G. I saw the car in Md. (75/80) and it was NICE.
    It was painted in a Patriotic red/white/blue, and was darn near a show car.

2. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I remember it. Seems to me also, that MPC did a model kit based on that car. Pretty sure I had one of those kits , many moons ago. I'm thinking it was a '57, however. Nice machine,either way, thats for sure!
    Bernie

3. racemad55

racemad55

I had that kit, It was the 59-60 style.

4. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

5. brandon

brandon

was the car also black...? or was that just one of the versions of the model...? brandon:D

6. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's a pic I found on Gasser Madness of the Malco Super Vette, caption says "possibly at the '71 Nationals..."
    [​IMG]

7. This is a way sexier version of the Malco Gasser 58 Vette. One of my personal favorites from childhood for sure. The other version was a bit "much". But this one was gorgeous! PS-Hell yeah I remember it!

[​IMG]

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Groucho, What year was that?

9. It's a page I tore out of a magazine many years ago and saved. I have no idea what mag or what year. My guess it'd be mid 60's. Not a lot of color features prior to that if I remember correctly. My amateur version in plastic
    [​IMG]

10. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

MAN!!! You guys are something else! I posted a 1/2 hour ago and you came up with pics and history already. Is Chris still with us? Does anyone remember if he ran a '55 Chevy wagon prior to the 'Vette?
    The HAMB Rocks!!

11. Perfect!!! I wonder wher the car is now??? Anybody??

12. noboD

noboD

The Malco Super Vette was originally red white and blue when Lang lived in Central PA. It won World of Wheels, I believe around '70ish. Lots and lots of chrome. Toured the show circuit and drag raced, a good friend crewed for him. When Lang moved to Md. it was painted in the other colors, then was black. I have the old Corvette mag with it in black, maybe '73. I also have an unbuilt model of it in the red,white, and blue scheme.

13. noboD

noboD

Now that I reread the post about the '55 wagon, was it called Bagpipes? It so, it belonged to another local legand, ran a screaming 265.

14. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

Again,you guys are awesome! The name of the '55 wagon was "Bagpipes". For some reason I thought Chris owned/raced it. I saw it at Capitol one time. Let me bring up another name, Harry Luzader , I've confused so many car/names I'll try not to screw this one up.
    Harry ran a '32 coupe gasser? then an Opel GT gasser? The coupe was a dark green and a really beautiful car,that, as I recall was a national record holder at one time.

"gassers have fenders,altered's don't"

15. brandon

brandon

luzaders coupe was a sweet piece....and never seemed to change in any of the pictures i have seen of it......seems like i read that the guy he sold it to still has it .... wasn't it one of the top 100 32's....? brandon:D

16. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

17. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

Thanks poncho62. I was kinda hoping someone would have a pic of Harry's '32. I think I saw it run at York US30 once in the '60s. I've googled his name but couldn't find pics of the '32. I did see it was on the list at Petersens '32 show earlier this year.

18. noboD

noboD

I don't remember the '32 or the name. Maybe a picture would jog the cells, all I get is a red box. The owner of Bagpipes is a local friend that's retired from doing magnificent interior work. He'll also talk your ear off.

19. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

I do remember the 32..........not sure of the colour, maybe gold, full fendered, front sat quite high.

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

there were 2 55 chevy wagons
    one a 2 door and one a 4 door
    i think one was blue and one was red
    both called bagpipes
    one of the 2 sat in the field beside where my house is right now after it was retired from racing
    a friend of mine Frank Payne was one of the main people behind both wagons and the first vette
    if you need me to find out any details i can get ahold of him
    he stops by my garage a few times a week usually

Zach

21. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Google is our friend...Had to go down a few pages, but found this...

[​IMG]

It's blue not gold........

Contrary to most Gasser class racers, Harry Luzader of Monroeville, Pennsylvania, decided to make his Deuce 5-window a showpiece. The car was painted in hand-rubbed green metallic lacquer, even under the fenders, and powered by a small-block, Hilborn-injected Chevy V8. Harry beat everyone in D/Gas at the 1966 NHRA Nationals, pulling crowd-pleasing wheel stands off the line, time after time. (Photo by Pat Ganahl)

THere are also pics of the 75 most significant 32s for the 75th anniversary....go here...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=119313#148

22. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

One of my favorites..

[​IMG]

Haha poncho62 had the quicker ET!

23. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

That's cus I'm SBC powered..............................:rolleyes:

24. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

I was a parts rep and called on Harry Luzaders auto parts store back in the early 90's. A local guy near Harry had bought the '32 and had pro streeted it.

No idea where the car is today.

25. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Too bad.....Restored would be nice........................

26. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

Thanks guys for the Luzader pics and info,for some reason I thought it was a deep green. Guess my memory ain't so good.
    If you guys don't mind,let me throw out another one. I can't remember the guys name (Gene?). The racecar was a volkswagon bug (I think) done like a Fiat Topolino altered, maybe light metallic blue. I saw the car run at Aquasco,Md. once and at the Ram Rods show in D.C. Anyone?
    Again thanks. I have a real crappy wireless conn. here and to google stuff takes forever, so I appreciate ALL your research!

27. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Probably not the same car, but this Vette still runs in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Lee
    www.atomicpinup.com

28. You're thinking of Gene and Butch Mori from southern Md. it was a B/A small Block Chevy powered VW Bug that ran mostly at Aquasco and Capital Raceway. They also ran at the Indy Nats and were very competitive. The car was later powered by a Big block and changed hands several times, A friend and I tried to buy it but lost out ! It's now owned by Rick "Surf" Stambaugh who also runs a nostalgia Top Fuel Dragster and says He's gonna restore the VW.

29. 55xgasr

55xgasr

This is a cool Vette gasser...not sure if this is the one you were looking for - but red, white, & blue. I think this came from gassermadness a few years ago.

Attached Files:

30. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

'Bagpipes' E/MP

CC

Attached Files:

• bp 1.jpg
      bp 1.jpg
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views: