Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHP Blue vin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 ford delivery, Mar 6, 2012.

1. '34 Fords had the serial number in 3 places on top of left frame rail--one in the vicinity of the steering box, which is the only one visible with the body on the frame, one about halfway along the length of the frame, and one on the arch over the rear axle. It is also stamped on the bell of the original trans case above the clutch inspection window, but of course you're not running the original Ford toploader. Ford did not put the serial number on the body. There is nothing in the serial number that indicates the body style. You should just have an 18- prefix if it was a V8 car originally or a B- prefix if it was a 4 cylinder car. The rest of the number is just a sequential production number. The serial number was actually assigned to the engine/transmission unit, not the car. When the engine/trans unit was bolted into a chassis at the factory, they copied the number off the trans case onto the frame. The stampings will be a bit uneven because they were literally hand stamped by a guy with a hammer and a set of number stamps.

2. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

Thanks don for all your feed back

3. Larry T

Larry T

I'll agree with the folks who say "Take it to a Title Company or someone who deals with this everyday." They know the law and have their own network of folks they deal with at the title office. Whatever they charge to straighten it out will be money well spent.
    Larry T

4. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

Hey there -

Wanted to see if there was any resolution with your vin verification process? I am a CHP officer in the bay area and actually specialize in salvaged vehicle vin inspections. I always get so upset when I hear of cases like this where either the DMV or CHP or both are operating under misinformation, and in turn messing with blue tags and special constructions when they don't have to.

Another problem is when you get an officer who isn't a "car guy" like us, and couldn't care less about how your car gets registered, i.e. Ford or Special construction.

Let me know what happened. If it hasn't been taken care of, I'd be happy to meet up with you and do a REG 343 Vin verification and make sure it gets labeled as a 34 Ford with no blue tag. I also like to show people that the CHP is still here for THEM. I'm always trying to improve the public's perception of us. Call or email me anytime!

34 ford delivery Thank you.

5. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

It also had to do with the front and/or rear rame clips if they have been changed or replaced in any way. I put a frame clip on my Divco and told him about it. Put the vin number in the exact same place in the frame and welded it back in perfectly. He told me to get it out NOW and dont mention it to him again. DMV will certify the truck with a new blue decal. (cal chp). He stated there are a lot of illegal cars on the road with unapproved pro street rears in then. You can add to an original but you cant legaly replace them. Fresno officer is good and he knowes his stuff and all of our tips and tricks. Officer Clay....just don try to trick him be straight up with the vin cop in your area.