Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chops in So Cal... come get your top whacked

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chillywilly, Mar 14, 2011.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Nice looking work, the rear window on the 51 Merc looks exceptional from the angle I can see in the picture. Since you are advertising a service, what could one expect to pay for a chop on a 50 Merc?

2. Erwin

Erwin

I think so too. Suprised more aren't done this way.

3. chillywilly

chillywilly

Wow, thanks so much for the kind words! I truly believe Brandon is one of the best. Coincidentally I got on tonight to show some updates of the sedan. remedic928 and charlieled I will PM both of you for pricing type stuff. Due to "life" things have slowed a bit but we are still working away. The coupe is mine and it sits while other stuff gets done... just the way it is! Anyhow, here are some pics of the b-pillar going together. AMAZING!!

Attached Files:

4. chillywilly

chillywilly

Here are some pics of the door frame going together. So good. We are still looking for work so if you have questions or interests please contact me. Thanks...enjoy! all comments welcomed

Attached Files:

• 189.jpg
      189.jpg
      File size:
      235.5 KB
      Views:
    • 190.jpg
      190.jpg
      File size:
      223.2 KB
      Views:
    • 191.jpg
      191.jpg
      File size:
      215.3 KB
      Views:
    • 192.jpg
      192.jpg
      File size:
      189.3 KB
      Views:
    • 193.jpg
      193.jpg
      File size:
      208.3 KB
      Views:
    • 194.jpg
      194.jpg
      File size:
      241.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Damiensablowit

Damiensablowit
    from Sacramento

Nice work! Sorry if I missed it but what city are you guys settin' up shop? I've got a54 chevy that I may do if I ever win the lottery. I'm broke as hell but who knows?.

6. 73RR

73RR

Tell us a bit about who is providing the glass for these projects.

7. chillywilly

chillywilly

There are a few very competent glass shops around this area that I could point you in the direction of. For single pieces and if you drop off a freshly chopped car and the cut everything and install with new rubber. Allow me to get permission to drop their name and I'll be glad to. You see flat glass is very easily cut and this accounts for probably 95% of side, door and vent wing glass out there. As for the rear glass there is no modification needed as the frame does not change (in 99% of cases). The windshield then is really the only tricky piece. I have had curved glass cut for me before at a shop in Long Beach, I work next to a glass cutter and bender (although I have never used them I think I'm going to walk over and see whats up). As for early cars however the front glass is flat which makes things extremely easy again as any glass shop will be able to handle that, such as in the shoebox fords.

8. Dino

Dino

They look good. I'd love to see more finished pics with glass installed. Is the Cad chop finished? I'd really like to see that one with glass.

9. chillywilly

chillywilly

Dino, sorry bud, some of the work was from a few years ago before my buddy 'the Rat' really got into photography so we don't have any fully completed shots of the Cad. I remember that the quarter glass was cut down made to still function (roll up and down) to keep the hardtop appeal. The rear glass was laid down not reshaped so the back glass stayed the same and a glass shop in Long Beach cut the windshield down for us. As for the shoeboxes ... well you'll have to check back in as they are currently being completed and I will make sure to post progress as we go up to and including finished shots.

10. chillywilly

chillywilly

Good evening! Much more progress is being made on the sedan so I'll throw up the passenger side pics. Brandon is really goin again and all that's left is the back window area now. You can see from the pics that the attention to detail is top notch... you can also see how the parts are going together here. Notice the plate in the c-pillar area for symmetry side to side

Attached Files:

11. chillywilly

chillywilly

Now the door frame completed inside and out and a great look at the roof profile.... 2 weeks to go and we are lining up our next projects now. Any of you need good metal work at a great price?!!?

Attached Files:

12. Awesome...

Wanna come down under and whack my 47 Chebby ?

Rat

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Looks killer guys!!!! :)

14. Wow my car is looking good

15. chillywilly

chillywilly

MARKY! whats up man? Brandon is really gettin down on your shoe. Hope all is good.

RAT BASTAD we will absolutely come to Australia and chop your chevy!!!

Thanks Ian!

16. chillywilly

chillywilly

Sunday evening West Coast bump. We are looking at and quoting a few jobs this week. Anyone want a quote?

17. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Congrats Will, Glad to see you n Branden are getting work although I was also hoping to see that Shoebox back on the road soon! Hope all is well man..we gotta catch up sometime!

18. chillywilly

chillywilly

Puttin this up to the top. My buddy is running thin and we are dealing for work.prices cut. If you got a quote from me before the numbers will change. This is super quality work. Let me know asap. I've gotta help keep him moving. ThanksThanks

19. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I like the workmanship

20. sent you a PM Chilly. Let me know if you do other metal owrk too.

21. chillywilly

chillywilly

Well, it's been a couple months since ive posted some pics here but the one shoebox sedan is now done and there have been a few little projects that have been completed as well. I love the profile of the roof. Brandon is seriously talented and when I quote you a finished metal roof this is what I mean. More pics of the coupe to come soon since we have some more time for that now:D

Attached Files:

• 5013.jpg
      5013.jpg
      File size:
      470.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5015.jpg
      5015.jpg
      File size:
      436.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5016.jpg
      5016.jpg
      File size:
      398.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5020.jpg
      5020.jpg
      File size:
      440.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5024.jpg
      5024.jpg
      File size:
      486.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5028.jpg
      5028.jpg
      File size:
      427.4 KB
      Views:
  22. chillywilly

chillywilly

Up top for the west coast weekend closers. Anybody need some work done? Shoot me a PM

23. krooser

krooser

You guys wanna fly out to WI and chop my '52 Pontiac hardtop?

Actually I'm joking but this seems to be a fairly straightforward chop on a HT but what do ya do with the back window? Not sure how to recess it... maybe replace it with something from another car?

BTW...that pic is NOT my car... just a sample.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  24. chillywilly

chillywilly

If that was your car I would recommend not touching it! The wrap around back window does cause some difficulty. Sometimes you have to "sink" the corners into the package tray which is a boatload of work. If you look at the 51 merc that we did you can see that the tips of the glass just above the beltline. Even though using that back window is much more difficult, the outcome is is a lot nicer as it gives a more "stockish" appearance. IMO

25. Keepin' it on top.

Awesome work guys.

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Chilly that is a great looking chop and fab work.

27. Smokey2

Smokey2

Thanks Chilly............Very considerate of you and Mr. Brandon, they say Every "chop" is differerent........but, Looks like "tha EYE" means alot. thanks again, lookin' forward to MORE !

Smokey

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Is this being tig welded before metal finishing? Those seams area really dissappearing nicely. Doesn't look like it's being glued up with a mig weld.

Looks like the back end of the roof is dropped a little lower than the front...I like it.

29. chillywilly

chillywilly

So this ought to blow your minds... I don't have a tig welder. Brandon is doing all this with a 110 MIG welder. Hes fricken incredible. When he has access to better equipment it gets ridiculous how nice stuff looks. I can't wait to get some pics up of the coupe quarter windows and some lead work on the sedan! Thanks for all the compliments fellas !!!

30. chillywilly

chillywilly

Alright!! I got some pics of the coupe uploaded ... super excited to be moving on this one again. I'll try to do it in step by step fashion - we'll pretend it's tech week;)

First - you situate the c- pillar or sail panel against the quarter panel. Height will be pre determined by the chop. You can see the relief cut running vertical to relieve the metal and allow it to be pulled toward the quarter. Weld the roof section in place at the belt line and tack together in the interior of the window bottom. You will have a hard angle at the back corner - this is not ok! Cut away the outermost layer of sheet metal where the window comes together. By leaving the inner metal intact you will not lose the rigidity from the tacks placed earlier

Attached Files: