Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping and Sectioning vs retail value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Dec 18, 2013.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

What are your experiences with selling vehicles after you have customized them?

Specifically chopped and sectioned vehicles (mine is an F100). If done right and not butchered does it affect the value and market for them?

2. 327Eric

327Eric

The market for a modified car is tough. While a few chopped and sectioned vehicles can and do bring good money, it limits the market, as only a small percentage of your buyers are apt to like the modifications enough to pay for them, versus a stock body thats "different" , just like everyone else has.

3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your selling a look, if the vehicle is done right and has the right look to the buyer then that is what is selling. Would someone spend more money for a chopped and sectioned vehicle? only if they like the look...

4. 6-71

6-71

I would say you would be limiting your market when you go to sell. I personally have never worried about resale value when building a vehicle.I build for myself,not the next owner.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Every time we build a custom or a hot rod, we build it to our tastes and liking. Even paint narrows the market, how many times have you looked at a car and said "I like it except for". Traditional cars will always have a strong market and painting a car black or red helps. Are you building your car for resale? Why not build it the way you want and enjoy it .

6. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

The widest market for classic car sales is an original, all stock vehicle.

7. I honestly believe you limit your perspective buyers when you Chop & Section a car or truck.

You definitely rule out tall guys. HRP

8. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Well. Customized is just that. YOU. It's not for the faint of heart, and dont expect to get your money back.

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

took me a couple days to sell my hamb friendly chopped shoebox.seems the market was pretty good to me.quality built cars will always sell.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Get enough publicity and magazine stories so it becomes and iconic car like the Hirohata Merc or the Kookie T and you can write your own ticket.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

depends on the vehicle. F-100 with a proper chop with glass in all the holes should sell for more than the same truck without a chop. as far as sectioning... well I don't think that would be a good selling point.

where a sectioned shoe box ford should sell for more than a non sectioned car all other things beng equal.

I can garanfuckingtee you a quality chop on a 49-52 Chevrolet increases the value.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Have fun. Worry about selling, when you're tired of it.

13. sedan33

sedan33

Besides whether a car would look better chopped, the condition of the body also is factor. My 40 pickup and 33 Sedan were both ruff so it was an easy decision to chop them and yes if done right it should help its value, although I"ll probably never sell these cars. If the bodys had been excellent from the start I think the decision would be harder.

14. Squablow

Squablow

That's it. If it's done really well, with nice proportions and it's finished, it'll bring good money. If it's a hack job, or if you try to sell it before it's all done, it'll be worth less than when you started.