Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping a roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Nov 2, 2009.

1. I know you have to brace the inside of the cab before cutting a roof off.. My question is has anyone used wood (like 2"x4") instead of steel? I was just thinking about it..

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not sure what type of wire you would use to weld in wooden bracing, but once yo figured that out I don't see any problems.

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

With steel you can tack it in place so it wont move. I think wood could be used if you secure it so it don't move around or fall out of place when everything becomes loose...John

4. trad27

trad27

I dont see why you couldent, but also dont see why you would. How are you going to attach it? drill holes and screw?

5. I was thinking about using L brackets and tacking them to the body and using screw to attach the wood.

6. trad27

trad27

Why? by the time you weld the L brackets and screw the wood in it would be way faster and easier to use steel.

7. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Use steel, wood will give. tnrotter

8. 2"x4" will give ?

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

You could also use a large rock.

10. real:confused: funny

11. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

no I think what he is saying is wood will give much easier than metal will give. But I agree by using these e brackets in such u r causing urself more trouble and work than necessary. Go by a scrap yeard or a metal house near by. They can cut ur specifics to what u want and u weld one time and its in.;)

12. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

Sorry not e bracket bu "L" brackets

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The only reason to use L brackets, 2x4's, and screws is if you don't have a welder. If you don't have a welder, you shouldn't be cutting the roof off your car. Sheesh...

14. I do have welders. I was just thinking it would be alot easier to use 2x4 to brace the cab up...

15. trad27

trad27

is it because you dont have steel laying around? If it is for the cab in your avitar you dont need that much, borrow some scrap from a buddy or go to a supply house. Dont know about there but here remnits are only 75 cents a pound right now.

16. Abomb

Abomb

If bracing with metal seems overly complicated, maybe you should rethink your plan to chop it.

17. I used wooden pieces...of course my 28 chevy had wooden pillars in the doors....it has no top to it...I just chopped the doors 3 1/2"..and crossed braced each door...worked out good...anyways that is my input...how about using a heavy wire or something...and making some type of tourniquet affair????

18. No not at all. Just a idea I had...

19. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I am not sure how you define "easier" but I can't see anything easy about bonding metal to wood for this application. Tack welding a few supports in place is just too simple to even consider doing anything else. By the way that you are defending your wood bracing, just go ahead and learn the hard way...

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

21. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

I know times are tough and all, but try to find some recycled square tubing at least. Stop being a cheap ass and buy some steel!

22. csclassics

csclassics

Wood is too soft and has too much give. You want to use metal tubing. go from side to side by the pillars and in th rear and then x it so you don't have any twisting. Thats what I have done anyway.

23. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

24. Thanks for all the input... It was just a idea. So I wanted some input. But I can see where this post is going. Thanks again

25. alteredimage

alteredimage

Wood, elmers glue and maybe some JB weld for the top. JK
    I don't see what the reasoning or benefit would be to use wood?

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of us don't use new steel for the braces. Hunt around and you can find some junk metal shelf racks that a grocery store has thrown out or any number of different pieces of metal. I've seen square tube, angle iron, rebar and somethings that I couldn't readily identify used.

I picked up a set light weight square tubing side racks for a pickup that someone was giving away on freecycle that I am going to use for the bracing on my truck. You want to get the truck frame very level and the make sure all of your door gaps are perfect before you start bracing the cab or before you ever make a cut. I learned the hard way on my first attempt at chopping a top on my truck and ended up scrapping that cab and building the one that I have now which I am replacing because it has some issues. Suicide doors will tear the hell out of things when they fly open at highway speed.

From experience, I can well say that every time you take a shortcut when building a hotrod or custom you will in time regret it and have to take more time doing it right the next time.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

27. This is what i was looking for... Thanks for your time...

28. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Old bed frame rails are some of the best angle iron you can get. I pick them up out of trash piles in front of my neighbors houses. Or you can stop by a thrift store, I bet they will give you as many as you want for a small donation. tnrotter