Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping a convertable

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddyman65, Dec 29, 2004.

1. caddyman65

caddyman65

Who`s done one? What`s involved? Wouldnt mind seeing some pics if anyone has some.

2. luckystiff

luckystiff

errol,
    if your thinking your caddy don't do it or do it very minimally(2 in max) most 60s cars already have the lower roofline your looking for when you chop a car. alot of work for a little difference. i really don't think i'd bother at all with a 60s vert because it's even harder to tell then. besides i think a vert and hardtop roof is already a bit shorter anyhow isn't it? focus your energy elsewhere grasshopper...ken....

3. caddyman65

caddyman65

I`m thinking 3" ,but at this point it`s just ideas,am starting to get the front end ready to cut up

4. hatch

hatch
    from house

Don't do a caddy...the factory got em right.

5. caddyman65

caddyman65

It`s not that I AM going to do it,it`s just that I am wondering what`s involved w/ it..I`ll decide when i`m done w/ everything else on it and take a look at it then,I`m about 50/50 on it now

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I'm not sure how much but converts and hardtops always have a shorter window height then sedans. I saw a chopped convert once but it was on a 50's car and it looked really neat. I'd figure it would take the same sectioning as on a roof, but on a MUCH more intricate level.After I cut the top off my sedan, I bought all the gizmos to make her a REAL convert, but I wanted to cut it down to chopped size....seriously rethinking it now
    Brandy

7. caddyman65

caddyman65

So NOBODY has info on chopping a conv.? I`m amazed

8. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

There is a section in tex smiths book. I checked int to this and I think the hardest part would be keepin the folding geometry the same so that it fits where it's supposed too. All the angles and hing points will have to be considered.

good luck.

Dave

9. caddyman65

caddyman65

Thank you, I didnt know if any books or mags had covered this at all

10. hatch

hatch
    from house

If it is a mild cut, it's not too bad....as you cut the windshield, the whole top moves forward,and down....sometimes you can remount the complete top lower at the rear mounting points...but, sometimes you have to stretch the bows between the A pillar and first hinge...of course a new top fabric needs to be done.

11. luckystiff

luckystiff

e,
    as has already been said you run inot fold geometry as your main concern. the more you chop the heavier your concern. i said 2 inch because i think that would be about the most you could do and only have to drop the rear mounting point and lengthen the first hinge point. beyond that and your probably looking at reworking the whole mechanism which is still doable but requires some serious insight. i don't have the tex book on chopping tops because i loaned it to someone and forgot who. you should be able to get it at your local Barnes and Noble. tex smith "how to chop tops" probably around 20 bucks. a good book as is the how to build custom cars book buy both their worth the few bucks you'll spend. the problem with vert is you not only have to figure whats gonna put it right to fit properly you also have to make it fold properly at the same time. there's so many other small details you could put into that would make a greater impact in the long run. most importantly with 60s cars you really have to use the less is more frame of mind. i like your ideas for the front and really think you are on to something original there. i say employ a few other small things like a clean shave and maybe custom taillights or something and finish it off with vveeerrryyy nice paint. that will make more of a statement with that car. i forget if you have said what your doing grille wise buti think if you do something in a smaller tube grille that kinda blends with the rivi headlight pods your gonna do then that will be what draws people to the car and half of them probably wouldn't even notice the chop until you told 'em. just my opinions...ken....

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Here's an idea, if you want the top to still fold, maybe you could lower the top frame where it mounts to the body the same amount as the chop? So you wouldn't actually cut the top down at all, just lower it into the car?

13. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

On my 47 Ford rag, the chop was pretty easy - I cut mine and extended the front section above the doors, The rear windows were the toughest part of the deal, but they rotated up from a pivot in the B post as opposed to windows that roll straight up and down. I had to make new window channels with the right curve in them by using two "L" shaped pieces (used a shrinker to get the curve) and then welded them together to form a channel.

Attached Files: