Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopping a 57 Buick with 3 back windows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson hot rod, Sep 2, 2010.

1. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Before I ask, YES I have tried the search function, over and over and still not much info. I am looking for pics and detailed info on chopping the top on a 57 Buick. I would like some pics and info on sinking the windshield and also how guys have handled the the fitting, sinking, chopping around the 3 rear windows. I have noticed some guys have made these windows smaller, what do you do for glass then, no plexi! Yes I have looked at twochops threads and yes he does awesome work but there just aint many pics. If anyone has some detailed pics and info I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Ken.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

there are no details for that chop that I've ever seen. personally if it's a 2 door hardtop I do not see the need for a chop, the proportions are perfect already. I don't see an improvement happening.

3. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I am actually planning on putting the rear roof section with the 3 back windows on a different car. I agree completely, a 57 Buick hrdtp does not need a chop.

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

What are you putting them on? How much is the other car roof chopped?

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

is the 57 roof already shorter than the roof on the other car? That would be cool. I remember parking my 2 door next to the 4 door I had and it was 2" shorter already.

6. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

It's actually me wife's car, she has just finished a four year nursing degree and has landed a full time job and rewarded herself by buying "her" dream car. It's '57 2dr Belair hrdtp and she has been going through my stacks and stacks of car magazines and has decided she like the late 50's/60's customs. She really like's the look of the 3 back windows on the 57 Buick/Olds's.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hmmmmmmmm......

Attached Files:

8. dubcee

dubcee

Get a hold of Lori at Canada Customs In B.C. I think he chopped a 57 buick last year. Sweet ride But I have no pics.

9. mlagusis

mlagusis

How much do you want to chop the chevy?

10. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

11. twochops

twochops

2-1/2" chop

Attached Files:

12. mlagusis

mlagusis

twochops, how did you do the side rear glass pieces? Are those custom made or did you lay the window frame and glass into the body?

13. twochops

twochops

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chop top,then sunk glass.
    Rework side glass opens to fit glass
    Heat ss trim bend fit opening then repolish
    All glass orginal Not cut

14. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

nice

15. I was hoping you would jump in here! Still love your car...Very understated.

16. mlagusis

mlagusis

That's what I thought. That's how I did my brothers 56 new yorker.

Matt

17. this has been done on a 57 named the golden nuget it was done back in the 60s the car is still around the northwest. Wa/Or seen it in portland not long ago. looked right!
    you might find it on google. post some picks as you start

18. choptvan

choptvan

perfect. Good job on that.

19. FASI

FASI

two chops has the best solution to rework the opening but if that doesn't work for you, I had my chopped '51 Chevy BelAir rear windows made of acrylic plastic by an aircraft windshield maker here in Michigan. It has been done 11 years, and no cracks, scratches or discoloration. Aircraft acrylic is the secret. Good luck, Keith

20. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Yup, that 2 1/2 inch chop looks perfect! Thanks for all the responses and the help guys. I would have thought that some one would have done this to a '57 Belair already but I can't seem to find any thing. I myself am not a huge fan of the '57's but I'm glad my wife is at least interested in older cars instead of all that new plastic crap:eek: I am going to start on it this fall and will be my winter project as well as going to trade school so I'm gonna be busy. If any one runs across any pics of this idea I would like to see em. Thanks again guys!

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

If you chop the chevy 2 1/2", the Buick back section should fit pretty close in it's stock config. I'm pretty sure the buick roof is at least 1.5" to 2" lower than the chevy. Have fun with it.

Matt