Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopping a 47 plymouth coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by los punk rods dave, May 31, 2009.

1. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

That thing is bad azz SpeedRacer!

2. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

thanks cant wait to get it in paint were thinkin a gold base with apple candy... who knows it s changed 10 times now lol

3. powhatan42

powhatan42

Dave,

Hello. I'm new to the site, however I am digging your ride. Nice job and great ideas. I'm building a '40 Plymouth Coupe from the ground up. The new 2X3 chassis is almost done. I just had the new Mickey Thompson's mounted yesterday.

I know how the color choice changes, I just changed from Black Cherry to Copper over Black two-tone, but that chould change before I hit the paint booth. LOL

4. sir_ely

sir_ely

Great build....truly love the work done...makes it look so clean and right....can't wait to see this nearing completion....

5. speters

speters

Any update? I am looking at picking up a complete 48 coupe and taking it in a similar direction :)

6. more progress this weekend welded up holes and seams , finished welding in headlight buckets( 37 ford standard ) pulled off some of the stainless grill to keep welding spatter off them , filled in holes where front running lights were
    also welded in 1/4 rod on trunk lid to peak the trunk emblem in going to fade peak up into trunk lid

also welded a lot of the interior metal from the chop

also started chopping and fitting the interior garnish moldings , i started with the rear quarter windows because i thought they would be the hardest , got one fit and welded and rough ground for now. couple of pics with chopped one and the stock one, big difference rear window is stock so i don't have to fix that one front is the easiest

lastly started on the drivers side door garnish molding
    debating on making a one piece glass for the doors , seams to throw off the flow with the vertical line of the wing window , well see later

on to more days of final welding of seams and a little more fab work , thinking of frenching in a antenna in cowl are in front of drivers side door then hooking it up to the door lever by means of a motorcycle cable , to open door i will pull up on the antenna and it will open the door , might have to install a door spring popper to kick the door out enough to grab a hold of it , i don't want to have electrical poppers on my car , going with a similar setup for the trunk also , figure i can reach over on the inside and open the passenger side door

Attached Files:

7. comingtogetya37

comingtogetya37

gonna be a kool kruzer. man. nice

8. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

this car is so fuckin rad...great job.....KEEP THE WING WINDOWS

9. Foppa

Foppa

Cool idea with the antenna..
    i like the whole idea of a "non electric door opener"..

10. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OH YEA that looks much better! Hope to see it in Salina at the leadsled show.

11. AWESOME WORK! Keep it up.

12. leadhead51

leadhead51
    from ontario

13. NateSedan

NateSedan
    from Oregon

Not an easy chop to get right, but you got it! I will be looking forward to more updates.

14. swissmike

swissmike

Why so sad, little car?

The headlight treatment will still have to grow on me. It's a little unusual to use pre-war style elements on a post war custom, considering customizing was done as a way to update the look of a car. Of course I don't really know what direction you want to go with the concept as a whole.

That said, I really like the chop. 40's Plymouth can make awesome customs. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes!

15. powhatan42

powhatan42

Keep up the good work!!! I like how you thought this baby out. My plan was to go with either the Ford headlights, Mini Copper headlights, or Mercedes headlights. Ford parts are available as us Mopar fans know all to well. I'm digging the '39 Ford for sure...much better than a Frenching job. Not a fan of the French anyway! LOL

16. linkstar69

linkstar69

Awesome lines on the chop. The lights certainly change the whole front end.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Have never been a Plymouth fan---til now. You getting ahold of this one is the best thing that ever happened to that car. Wow.

18. wiggins

wiggins
    from Center, MO

Picking up a 48 thursday, hopefully it'll turn out as nice as this one is. looks fantastic.

19. powhatan42

powhatan42

Subscribed! Keep up the great build...

20. hotdamn

hotdamn

UPDATES?????????????????????????????????????????????????

:D

you know the best thing about your ride?

some one could totally pick one of these up dirt cheap and build something similar with a whole lot of research and heart put into it.

I love it bro.

you sir are doing what this hobby is all about and what most of us have forgotton about.

dig it:)

21. tankwilson

tankwilson

We need updates Dave!!!!

22. classicfins

classicfins

Please don't stop! We need some updates. This build is awesome...

23. farmer12

farmer12

^^^^what he said^^^^

24. OK, me too, we need an up-date on this baby!

25. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Cool car ! I started building a 47 DeSoto about 20 years ago. My chop looks close to this. I need to get started on it again. alot I'll have to redo.

26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good eye ,great work the car's lines just flow.

27. thinkfink

thinkfink

...x 2

28. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Updates?????

29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

x 3 :)

30. been crazy busy lately with everything else except the plymouth , my regular job , sidejobs , installing a lift at the shop , helping build a motorcycle shop at our warehouse , building a chopper , frame table for a 31 model a project coming up and just started a rechop of a shoebox last weekend , and fixing damn leaking flatroof at my shop ... plan is to finish everything up and dec 1st i am doing NOTHING but work solely on plymouth!!!! from here on out excited because i have everything to do it , everything is planned out , colors are picked, found rebuilt engine to put in , just been waiting for the time pics to soon come rolling in again
    ps check out the shoebox thread pics i will be putting up as i finish that sucker soon

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011