Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping a 36 Ford 3 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58Lincoln, Jun 19, 2007.

1. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

I'm getting ready to CHOP my 36 Ford 3 window and would like to get some reference material to help guide me, including, but not limited to, first hand knowledge, old or new magazine articles, good books on the subject or where I could obtain this info.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated. I want to do the job RIGHT the first time.

Thanks

2. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

this is a scary post.
    if you don't know what you're doin dont touch it!!
    not the car to learn on...
    tp

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

A 36 three window car doesnt need any chop. The lines are perfect now.
    I would never chop a car even close to this. especially for the first time.

4. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

oh boy... dont chop a 36 ever... unless its a sedan... and especialy when you have no clue what your doing...

5. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

1. Do an intro.
    2. DO NOT CHOP IT!!!

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

There was an article on chopping one in I think* one of the HOP UP annuals....or it may have been an older R&C.....I'll double check later tonight.

I've only chopped late 20's-early 30's cars myself.....but wouldn't hesitate chopping a '36 3W......guys in the 40's-50's did it with less tools then.....no reason NOT to today......go for it!

7. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

3.5" to 4" is the perfect chop for a '36 3W, in my estimation. They are way too tall stock.

Chris

8. Plowboy

Plowboy

I have only seen about 3 of them that I liked that were chopped halfway decent. The rest were RUINED.

I think they have great lines the way they are.

9. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

WOW, These are not the kind of responses I expected!

I am an old hot rodder looking for a little help. I have built many cars and know well what a beautiful car I have. But I do not have the skill myself, to chop the top, and have been waiting 6 months for a very very experienced metalman to do the job, but he no longer seems interested in doing it. I have recently talked to 2 other metalmen and have presently eliminated one and still have one in the running, who has done many chops, just did a 51 Merc coupe, and many other coupes, but never a 36 Ford 3 window. I am looking for this reference material as a guide for him IF HE NEEDS IT.

Thanks for all the "helpful" suggestions.
    You guys can go back to you newspaper, coffee now.

This is my first post. Please tell me, am I on the wrong forum.

10. Plowboy

Plowboy

I am all about cutting shit up, believe me.

Maybe Django will chime in on this one. his dad's 36 is one of the only ones that I liked chopped. And the Hammet 3 window but that started as a 5 window so it doesn't count. Ha Ha Ha

11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i think i would find pictures of one you like...then work backwards
    im sure theres alot of how-to stuff out there but really if you just follow their step by step then how do you know it'll end up how you want it in the end

maybe even get photos blown up to full scale and then cut them apart and figure where you want certain parts to move to, what lines you want to go where...etc..

just think it through in alot of little steps and BE SURE to have a picture of what you want in the end, in your head

good luck
    Zach

12. reefer

reefer

Street Rodder covered this chop a couple of years ago.It showed a coupe at Marcel De Luc`s place getting chopped 3".It was pretty detailed and covered the garnish mouldings and roof panel in fill.
    I think I`m right in saying,that it was the Gold coloured Coupe built by Brizios.It got a lot of features at the time.

I am planning on cutting my own 36/3, later this summer.I will follow the same technique, but will take 3 1/4" out of the roof, but limit the rear window to just the same percentage, so as to keep the proportions right.

Good luck with the cut, post some shots if and when.

[​IMG]

13. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

My fellow rodder in the UK,

It sounds like you and I are on the same page. I live very close to Brizio's shop in South San Francisco and know one of the guys there well, and am using that gold 36 3 window that Marcel chopped and they built as an example for my chop. I have seen many chopped 36 3 windows including Kirk Hammetts and like the gold car the best. I will be providing photos of the gold car to the metalman. I plan to chop the top a bit less than you do, at 2 1/2 inches.

Thanks for the info on the "Street Rodder" article. I'll look for it, and GOOD LUCK with your car.

Cheers

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That would be scary to "learn" on a 36 3 window!

I like them both ways. I wouldn't mind having an unchopped 3 window too, but who knows if that will ever happen. Here's my Dad's 3 window...

[​IMG]

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

The Street Rodder article was very detailed.

If you can't find a copy, let me know, I'll scan it and post it.

Rich

16. robster

robster

Why not ring Marcels and ask what they would charge to chop it? Guaranteed to get it exactly how you want it then.

17. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

I visited a custom metal shop yesterday, looked at their work and meet the crew. These guys are really talented and LOOK FORWARD to working on my 36 3 window.

After 6 months of waiting for a metalman located 225 miles from me to work on my car, I found someone 30 miles away who have a skill level of a very high standard.

The car will be going to their shop within the month. I will post progress photos if anyone would like.

Regarding having Marcel do the work, he is located 450 miles from me and there is probably a very long waiting list for a small fish customer.

Thanks for the positive input and help.

18. brewsir

brewsir

welcome to the HAMB....and all the opinions you get without even asking for...Get that sucker the way you want it!! You having Moal do it?

19. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Damn all these "don't touch it - it's perfect" posts.
    Even IF he was going to do it himself (which it sounds like he's not), does not mean he can't pull it off. What about some friggen encouragement?
    What about providing helpful input as was asked for?
    I'm glad I never asked anybody's opinion before I decided to cut up my car.
    Yes, 36 3 windows are beautiful as-is, but damn...try to think positive.

Wait...did I accidently log onto the Resto board?

20. brewsir

brewsir

Hey Cleatus you gonna unchop that ugly lowered car of yours now??? I'll come help restore it !!

21. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

haha i have to agree with ya there i get that resto vibe alot latley

here is the foster built 36
    [​IMG]

22. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

my thoughts exactly, if you want it chopped....it's your car, do as you like with it.

23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

restoring is boring.

24. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I just recently chopped my 5 Window, and I took out 2"-I really like how it came out. I read a lot about Chops, purchased Tex Smith's "How to ChopTops", and decided to use Marcel's method (as mentioned here in Street Rodder).

I purchased a donor top off of Ebay, along with two Doors and an additional side Top (I stilll have some pieces if you need any).

Everyone has their own opinion of how much to take, but to me, if you take more than 2" it tends to look like a Frog that someone stepped on. Take your time-mark your lines, use tape for lay-out and study, study, study.

Do NOT use a Sawzall (they are too hard to control). I used a 4 1/2" cut-off wheel in a Milwaukee Hand Grinder for the Posts, and a air-powered Hacksaw for everything else-do not hurry!

The Marcel way does require more time to do, but doesn't distort as bad. Don;t forget to brace the Body every way you can BEFORE cutting.

Good Luck-they can be done by a semi-experienced Hobbiest, just think things completely through-

25. Here's an article on chopping a 36 3window taken from the January 1957 issue of Car Craft. It was written by Neil Emory & Clayton Jensen of Valley Customs, I believe they knew what they were doing.
    It doesn't go into a lot of detail, but does show the basics.

Mick

Attached Files:

26. skratch

skratch

do not chop this car !

let me do it.

27. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Naw...I don't think anyone gives a crap if a 40 chevy gets molested. You never hear anyone going "oh, those are so beautiful just as they are!" ;)

28. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE TOP!
    I BEG YOU!
    Let me tell you a little story, Once apon a time there was a class on Top Choping at the local community college. A very well known "pro" was going to show the class how to...well....how not to...so any way there sat a perfect 36 3w. Let me say it was like watching a train accident. I did not feel it was the correct choice for any chop let alone 4" of vertical.

Please listen to your peers!

GOOD LUCK!

Cody

Attached Files:

29. Uptown83

Uptown83

looks like they ruined it.... :(