Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chopping a 1952 ford F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66gmc, Feb 18, 2017.

1. 66gmc

66gmc

A co worker told me about this truck at the local pick a part. I went there today with plans to pull the steering box for my roadster project. After seeing the truck I knew I couldn't leave it there to die. I ended up striking a deal for the whole truck, and they even delivered it to my driveway.
    Is there any way to tell the difference between a 51 and 52? I know the hood on it is off an earlier truck.
    031.jpg 032.jpg 033.jpg

EDIT: 04/07/20 Skip to page 5 for the exciting conclusion of this project.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Stogy, Okie Pete, UNCLECHET and 35 others like this.
  2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Nice save!

0nedon and Montana1 like this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Looks reasonably complete, right down to the hubcaps!
    Should make a great project.
    Have fun with it.
    KK

4. 3340

5. i am not sure how to tell those years apart, but there is a year that the bed side had a feature line down the bed.

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

vin tag should be inside glove box door. should be able to figure out from that.

7. Is the vin tag still on the inside of the glove box door?

jrlphx likes this.
  8. 66gmc

66gmc

its canadian built so the vin tag is on the firewall. From my research so far the last letter in the first half of the serial number indicates the year, which on mine is P, which apparently stands for 1952. I was just curious if there was any other differences in the trim or body.

9. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ya did good! (insert Sanford and Son music here):D...;)

11. toml24

toml24

The local Pick-A-Part in Anaheim, Ca. has thousands of cars and trucks. There all dated on the window with white marker, and none has a date older than 2-months old. A 100% turn over of the inventory 6 times a year. You did good and saved that truck.

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Good for you. It has more life left in it, it's not destined to be scavenged.

13. I owned and drove one of those back in the day about 50 years ago. paid $24 at a auction at the Windy Hill Ranch. I had been setting many years. I put a 12 volt battery on it and it spun over pretty good. wouldn't hit a lick. It was getting gas and fire. It was atop a big hill. My older brother and I pushed it and got it rolling. And I had it spinning over really fast. And at the bottom of that hill it fired up. No brakes license or insurance I just drove it on home. Mine had a granny 4 speed and flathead 8 engine. I still have the engine and trans. Sadly I hauled the body off to the scrapper many decades ago.

1Nimrod and Kan Kustom like this.
  14. Who the hell sold that to a pick n pull?! Way too good to get picked apart. Looks pretty solid. Nice save.

czuch, Clay Belt and jrlphx like this.
  15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It should be a 52 which has FORD emblem spelled out on the panel directly below the hood. The hood shown in the last picture is a 48-50. Nice save, my dad had a 51 years ago when i was a kid.

66gmc likes this.
  16. mopacltd

mopacltd

Nice job, Canuck. I love it when a plan comes together!

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You're lucky you were able to buy it complete from the salvage yard. Some places wont sell a complete vehicle once it enters their gate.

Clay Belt likes this.
  18. 66gmc

66gmc

Thanks! thats the info I was after. It looks like between the serial no and the Ford emblem its safe to say that its a '52. The hood came off a 48-50 1 ton that was in the same yard.

19. Toqwik

Toqwik

Nice save. Someone must have been cleaning up some property they just bought to send it there. Those are by far my favorite year trucks. What are your plans for it?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt likes this.
  20. Great save. Pretty solid, never find one around here like that.

21. Wow....who would send that away to die? Good on you for grabbing it

1Nimrod and czuch like this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40

Nice save.....yard art....

haileyp1014 likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - come with a salvage title?

Clay Belt likes this.
  24. 66gmc

66gmc

I have been casually searching for an old truck to turn into a daily driver/shop truck. I was looking for something in better shape to start with, but I would like to save this truck.
    Im not doing anything crazy with it, I want to keep it simple. The plan as of now is to rebuild the front suspension, lower it a bit, swap out the rearend, and as much as I hate to say it drop in a sbc. I will hammer the dents out and patch up the rust holes, and run the thing in primer for the time being.
    I have a couple other major projects on the go, so this will be more of a budget build that I can drive daily and not worry about rock chips or door dings.

Where I live vehicles dont have titles, and getting registration and plates is a relatively painless process. I wasnt expecting them to sell me the complete truck, but I guess that proves it never hurts to ask.

Baumi, kiwijeff, 1Nimrod and 2 others like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Funny, but that song just suddenly popped into my head just before I read this!

26. Good save! I tried to buy a Gremlin body in perfect condition from U-pull-it in Nebraska and they said not for sale at any price...against Nebraska law.

Clay Belt likes this.
  27. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Must have been a Big Dummy.

[​IMG]

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Bought many complete cars from junk yards. Just got restored salvage titles for them.

1935streetrod likes this.
  29. Someone was gonna scrap that truck? Hold on! You hear that Elizabeth?! I'm comin' to join you honey!!!