Register now to get rid of these ads!

Choppin the cowboy hell out of a 48 Ford hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironhunter, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ironhunter

ironhunter

Postwar Ford hoods look like dammit on a stick...too high in the front, center strip very prone to rusting, and don't fit worth a damn. This one is getting the center replaced with the center section from a 61 Buick invicta and I dropped the nose justa tad.

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Where do you order this? I have a few people that I should send a crate to. :D

3. ironhunter

ironhunter

it's pretty good with mustard :)

4. 416Ford

416Ford

Any front pics, I have two 41 hoods and I want to get the nose down also. Been looking for someone near me to make me a fiberglass hood to match up to my glass fenders. Not having any luck around here so I'm seriously thinking about getting out the cut off wheel.

5. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Looks good, I like the profile.

6. ironhunter

ironhunter

Here's a shot from a few days ago. I'll take some better (and updated ones and post them asap. I'll be doing an article on webrodder.com featuring this job as soon as it's complete. This car has glass fenders on it. I left the very front open until I'm ready to cut the hood loose from the body in order to have access in there to use a dolly. I still have to fab the piece to fill the nose.

Cut the hell out of it, man!

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  7. chaddilac

chaddilac

wow that looks cool!!! keep us updated!

8. 416Ford

416Ford

That looks like more work then dropping the top but well worth it. Any particular reason you used the hook section you did or was it the one that was laying around?

9. why not a tech write up for the HAMB?

10. ironhunter

ironhunter

The reason we used the Buick hood was because of the unique arrow shaped lines. The pics don't show it well, but the hood now looks like a cowl-induction kinda setup. Two lines converge at the nose into a point and the panel in between is raised at the rear. it also had the slope we needed to match the contour of the tops of the fenders.

The guy that owns the car made the final decision, and yes I had it laying around so that made the decision a little easier :)

Attached Files:

• 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      11.3 KB
      Views:
  11. ironhunter

ironhunter

I don't mind...The more readers, the better. Don't have a clue how to offer it though.

Oh, lest I forget; I'm getting compensated well with webrodder :)

12. repoguy

repoguy

Looks like you're having fun Ray. Hope everything up there is going OK.

What ever happened with your son's Buick?

13. ironhunter

ironhunter

he got more interested in little girls than cars, so it is sitting in the dark scared and alone. It's a 49 Coronet with a 52 Buick front clip though. Anyway, what the hell you been up to man?!! Ain't heard from you in a coon's age.

14. ironhunter

ironhunter

Makes the old Ford look a little nastier, don't it? Kinda changed it from looking like Jimmy Durante to "where's the fuggin trouble...I want some!"

I could really like this car if it had something other than a 355 stroker SBC with tri-power in it. Maybe a blown Olds or a Nailhead...or maybe just a really cool Merc flattie

15. brewsir

brewsir

16. 416Ford

416Ford

Ironhunter, do you have any pics of the underside or back of the hood. I was out looking at other hoods(41 to 48) this weekend. Didn't see any as cool as that one.

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

I read this thread just for the expressions : "choppin the cowboy hell" and "dammit on a stick".
    I dig your style Ray.

18. DrJ

DrJ

That's looking ok but you need to do the same thing to the bulbous contours of the fenders just above and outside of the headlights so they flow the same way.